I need to stop upgrading!

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
It's true....I need to stop it now!

Everytime I see a "new" piece of carbon kit thats a bit lighter or better in some special way...I need it.

I have no idea why I need it - it is going onto a steel frame!

Help me to fight my demons and restore balance to my bank account.....

I have new handlebars today.....and new racing wheels to fit....

Bugger....

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    gtvlusso wrote:
    It's true....I need to stop it now!

Everytime I see a "new" piece of carbon kit thats a bit lighter or better in some special way...I need it.

I have no idea why I need it - it is going onto a steel frame!

Help me to fight my demons and restore balance to my bank account.....

Bugger....

Sounds like you need a new carbon frame to attach the stuff to...

Glad I could help 8)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:

Glad I could help 8)

Was about to say the same, the "cheap" chinese frames are very attractive.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Glad I could help 8)

GTV knew that was going to be the suggestion, he just wants someone else to say it first.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gtvlusso
    dhope wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Glad I could help 8)

GTV knew that was going to be the suggestion, he just wants someone else to say it first.

Bugger :(
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    gtvlusso wrote:

I NEED new handlebars . . . .

My deep section FFWD wheels are a requirement for a slightly fat short man who doesn't race and not just bought because they are pretty. They also make a really nice swooooshing sound when (on the rare occasion) I ride them
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've stopped my wiggle/spending addiction in its tracks by starting a spending spreadsheet for 2011, if my costs go above what the train costs I have to stop..
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    ^^^^^

I've not gone a far as a spreadsheet but roughly I figure if I spend less than my Travelcard would be, I enjoy spending money on bike stuff and I save time then it's all ok.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg T wrote:
    not just bought because they are pretty. They also make a really nice swooooshing sound when (on the rare occasion) I ride them

This is *exactly* why I bought mine. It's what awesome sounds like.

If you need new bars, have a look in the Sigma clearance shop. There were quite a few goodies in there when I last looked.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I'm done.

...maybe
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    N +1 GTV - its the Law
  • iPete wrote:
    I've stopped my wiggle/spending addiction in its tracks by starting a spending spreadsheet for 2011, if my costs go above what the train costs I have to stop..

This is a great idea! Weekly travel card = £44, so by riding every week I've basically justified a whole heap of custom built Ti loveliness by next winter. Chapeau.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I bought some cheap Fulcrum 7s for spares but then I thought, why have spare wheels when you can have a spare bike!

:roll:

Help me ............
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Fitted new 3T team stem to my CF Ribble which hasn't moved from the back of the living room since Sept 2010.

It's even sporting un-ridden wheelset and conti 4000s tyres.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:

This is a great idea! Weekly travel card = £44, so by riding every week I've basically justified a whole heap of custom built Ti loveliness by next winter. Chapeau.

Yes its a nice rule to have, especially when mine is £48.30 a week :twisted:
  • iPete wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Yes its a nice rule to have, especially when mine is £48.30 a week :twisted:

Crikey, I've just checked mine. £27.60 a week! Plus £42 a month to use the bus at the other end.

I'm off to Wiggle. :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    iPete wrote:

:idea: It's a bit OCD maybe but that prompted me into knocking a spreadsheet up. The daily fuel cost is easy to work out so all it needs to show is bike spending [everything - food, bits, bobs, stuff that I wouldn't have bought if I didn't have a bike] against fuel savings from days riding in. If it weren't for the tops & shorts I spotted in a sale last week I'd be up about £35 up at the minute, but it's standing at £3.85 profit. Need to improve that figure.
  • itboffin
    £270 on petrol last month :shock:

That's why my BMW 740i is no more, bloody thing had a bigger thirst than me.

Diesel for the new car so far this month = £0 and it's done 400+ miles with over 150 left to go.

:D
  • gtvlusso
    itboffin wrote:
    £270 on petrol last month :shock:

That's why my BMW 740i is no more, bloody thing had a bigger thirst than me.

Diesel for the new car so far this month = £0 and it's done 400+ miles with over 150 left to go.

:D

Good point.....

I put £120 of diesel in the car 2 weeks ago - quarter of a tank left! Hoping it lasts this week!

So, I guess that if I sell the car, I can have more upgrades (kinda knackers my wife and kids though.....)
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I too have the virus. Seems most of my happiness is linked to carbon and lycra :oops:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • iPete
    Gosh, so if I would have to pay £48.30 a week for the train & don't own a car that'd cost what, £100 a week all in all inc ok car? I can buy some serious carbon goodness... :twisted:
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    I worked out my saving was £3k/annum changing the way I commute - I still pay over £3k for the bloody train but no longer drive to the station and pay parking or use the tube at the London end.

The £3k saving has already been dented by £500 on 'completely necessary' bike bits and pieces that 'it was imperative' that I have.

Still that leave me £2.5k to spend on carbon for the good bike... :D