Bike recommendations, for a mate, honest.

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
A mate of mine has asked for recommendations for a bike. Its the usual 'mostly on road but with the occasional bit of off-roading and gearing that will let me climb that hill near me' that all novices want.
His budget is £200 (I know, thats the price of a entry-level wheelset) and I've warned him with 'buy cheap, buy twice' and 'you get what you pay for'.

I've suggested he have a look at the Main.jpgCarrera Subway Limited Edition at £200 or the budget busting 31469769.jpgCarrera Vulcan at £300.
Any other recommendations?

And since I'm asking questions, I've seen someone make a image a clicky link. How?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Carrera is the perceived (or is it received) wisdom on the MTB forum for value for money starter bikes. That and Decathlon

Timing is everything when buying from Halfords - I bought the Carrera Vulcan (the non disc version) for £204 at the start of the winter - they're a different price every week

No issues with it
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    My laptop keeps crashing or I'd post up some links

Check out the MTB forum Beginners or Buying advice, or do a search on Carrera, Vulcan or Vengeance and you'll get some info from people who know about bouncy forks and such like. I just bought mine for pootling about with the kids and it was spot on.

The best offer at Halfords at the moment would seem to be the Vengeance Ultimate half price at £320 which Supersonic described as astonishing value. But you are getting into budget creep there.

There also seems to be little rhyme or reason to Halfords pricing policys sometimes the better spec bikes are cheaper than the lesser models.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    To be fair: I can't knock the Carrera bikes. I started with a Carrera Gryphon (£300) and really enjoyed using it for over a year before the bridleway on my old commute killed it off.

I think it's a fine way to get into cycling without committing huge amounts of money on the bike itself
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    Budget creep has begun! He says he can stretch to £300 (which probably means £350 plus bits).
    I've pointed him at the newbie pages on here and offered what advice I can, but as I don't spend any time looking at flat barred off-road capable bikes I can't offer much assistance.
    Are there any other brands he should look at? He doesn't really trust Halfrauds, but I told him that the bikes are OK, its the monkeys that open the boxes that are the problem.
    e.g. I went into Halfrauds and asked the monkey a simple question. I got the reply "I don't know anything about bikes, I just put them together." That doesn't exactly fill you with confidence, does it?

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Tell him to stop wasting his & everbody else's time with this entry level 'ooh I want a bike that does everything' nonsense. Cut out ten years of incremental improvements and start with something quite good...

This.

This is what he needs. :wink:
  • EKE_38BPM
    CiB wrote:
    Tell him to stop wasting his & everbody else's time with this entry level 'ooh I want a bike that does everything' nonsense. Cut out ten years of incremental improvements and start with something quite good...

This.

This is what he needs. :wink:

No good off-road. Might mean his deposit for a house goes out the window too!

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Tell him to buy a bloody tricross - 2nd hand if he won't buy new. 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tailwindhome
    Eke don't get confused here by budget creep and KBs dirty chat.

Your job here is to keep your mate the hell out of Argos/JJB etc

Carrera or Decathlon are by all accounts unbeatable at this price point.

Irritatingly the Carrera Vengeance Ultimate was down to £319 but seems to have disappeared off the Halfords site.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

2nd hand.

not a lot of money goes further 2nd hand . . . .

let's face it - he'll ride a towpath once . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • EKE_38BPM
    Greg T wrote:

2nd hand.

not a lot of money goes further 2nd hand . . . .

let's face it - he'll ride a towpath once . . .

He wants new and he reckons he'll be off-roading a bit (I doubt it though).
    He also mentioned the possibility of doing a London to Paris charity ride. An off-road bike sounds perfect for that!

Why do people ask for advice and then ignore it?
    A mate told me about a former colleague who was in the market for a commuting bike and had a budget of ~£300. After a trip to Evans, Halfrauds and an LBS and test riding a few bikes a suitable one was found and my mate was satisfied that he helped a wannabe cyclist...until a few days later when the colleague rides into work on a full suspension MTB looking very smug and telling my mate "Look at this, only £80!" Oh dear!