Garmin Edge 500 ?????

2»

Comments

• glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    twotyred wrote:
    Yup, me too. You just following me around twotyred? Same Bike, same Gamin.....

What you buying next? I probably have it already :D
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I think we're both doing the Marmotte this year as well! And I'm Scottish- although I was probably Scottish before you were!.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Here's my history of Garmins:

Got given the 205. Used it mostly to navigate courses. (had watch with mount for everything else - Polar S725X) The 205 was excellent, but a bit buggy, only 8 hours battery and very little memory so could only store a couple of long courses.

Then bought a 500. Really disappointed as you couldn't change the zoom on courses, which was what I wanted it for, so sent it back

Then bought the 605. Much more memory, but couldn't get used to the whole map thing. Didn't seem that easy to follow, so started using it without maps (just like the 205). Decided that was a bit silly, so sold it.

Then Garmin updated the 500 to include zoom feature, so bought it again. Really happy with it now. Takes a little getting used to. Some of the button logic isn't intuitive. Have now sold all my Polar stuff too and started using the Garmin Connect website to log rides. It does a good job of combining the hrm, course and gps data, but it's not quite as good as the Polar software.
    exercise.png
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I use this software to store my records online http://www.runningfreeonline.com/Splash it's excellent.

And Sporttracks as a back up on my PC http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    twotyred wrote:
    I think we're both doing the Marmotte this year as well! And I'm Scottish- although I was probably Scottish before you were!.

Just don't turn up at the marmotte with a white mavic plasma top on :lol:
  • gjwatt
    gjwatt Posts: 7
    Great bit of kit and the connect.garmin website for uploading your data is excellent
  • Finlab6
    Finlab6 Posts: 127
    sorry to hijack
    Garmin is taking longer to read activities when I upload to garmin.connect. Should I be deleting activities on the garmin? I assume it doesnt affect the activities already uploaded.
    MTB GT Avalanche 1.0
    Road - Specialized Allez Sport

exercise.png
  • Hi,

Thanks for your opinions. Any more opinions would be welcome with pictures and/or video reviews.

Does the Garmin Edge 500 have mph and miles as units as well as kilometres.

Thanks,
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    the connect.garmin website for uploading your data is excellen

I disagree its pretty basic with very limited analytical tools. I only use it so my coach can view my data remotely. I have Sporttracks on my PC which is much more powerful although the learning curve is steeper.

Does the Garmin Edge 500 have mph and miles as units as well as kilometres

No offence mate but information like this can be had if you just RTFM here

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Edge500_OwnersManual.pdf
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Finlab6 wrote:
    sorry to hijack
    Garmin is taking longer to read activities when I upload to garmin.connect. Should I be deleting activities on the garmin? I assume it doesnt affect the activities already uploaded.

I haven't got my 500 yet, but I know it takes longer the more activities you have on when trying to upload from the Forerunner. It basically has to read what's on there and the software decides whether that activity has already been loaded. If there's less activities on the device it has less to read.
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    i love the 500. its simple to use, comes with 2 simple and secure mounts and removes the need for unsightly gadgets mounted on the forks and spokes.

the amount of data collected is fun and can be cross referenced to google earth.

as an example, here is an unforgettable ride we did last year in tenerife, peaking above 7,000ft.
    click on the player button for a full screen interactive view to see how much you can slice and dice a ride as an example...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34969580
  • Just got my 500 today with the heart rate monitor and speed/cadence sensor,looking forward to using it on Sunday.