This guy is a living saint

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
If I wasn't such a heartless bastard I would have cried after watching on the news what this man is doing, tiz a rare and beautiful thing.

http://alnwick.journallive.co.uk/news/b ... d-hal.html

The website doesn't detail the personal input he's adding to his charity work, giving money is amazing, giving up your family home and fortune is extraordinary but actually getting involved one on one.

Chapeau
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Just watched The One Show on BBC1, they are following this guy on their program.....seems very dedicated to his cause, got to admire him, Not sure his wife was very impressed with him though....she used to live in a multi million pound house and country estate, now she's in a small rented house in Morpeth with a husband that was so engrossed in his project that she might as well not been there.
    2008 Trek 1.2t &2009 Specialized fsr xc pro.
  • itboffin
    Ah but the lives he's going to help, cancer destroys the whole family, anything that makes that time more bearable is worth its weight in gold, clearly he understands that.

It takes a very special person to be that selfless and humble
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I was going to say he's completely selfish but then I thought they must have a bit of money to pay the rent etc. The One Show doesn't explain if they will eventually move into something the wife finds more suitable as they are living in a temp home.

As he's clearly a married man, why wasn't the wife able to salt away some of that money for her own desires? Couldn't she have gone to the courts to stop him? Any of you marrieds explain money within a marriage? Is it not 'communal' like property?

Tonx.
  • itboffin
    Cafewanda wrote:
    I was going to say he's completely selfish but then I thought they must have a bit of money to pay the rent etc. The One Show doesn't explain if they will eventually move into something the wife finds more suitable as they are living in a temp home.

As he's clearly a married man, why wasn't the wife able to salt away some of that money for her own desires? Couldn't she have gone to the courts to stop him? Any of you marrieds explain money within a marriage? Is it not 'communal' like property?

Tonx.

I thought it was she that had cancer which thank god she recovered from, he's been so effected by it has changed his life, I might be wrong. This is a very personally subject for my family and once again were at the blunt end :cry:

PS. The house they're living in is very nice, it's just a house FFS

PPS. If you see the interview with his daughter she jokes about the money but you can see she understands. This is also one of the reason I have so much respect for Bill Gates, without the people who give this money and those who dedicate their lives to helping others we'd all be fooked!

S.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Oh right. Thanks for the expo.

Hmm. Maybe tv editing is at fault here as he comes across as worthy but inconsiderate towards the wife. Although the people who will benefit may well consider him a saint. I'm sure I would.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    edited January 2011
    Wrong thread.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Oops, wrong thread.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    An impressive donation - although that doesn't quite seem like the right word. Although he must be fairly well off, it's still an amazingly big gift, and in somewhere like Northumberland, I can see how a fleet of mini buses will make a huge difference.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition