MTB forks

Jackmyster001
Jackmyster001 Posts: 86
edited January 2011 in MTB general
hi everyone.

I am 15 years old and I am looking to buy some new forks for my genesis core 10 I have narrowed my choice down to 3. the rock shox Recon Solo air.. I don't know the difference between the silver and gold. as you can imagine I have a limited budget as I'm 15.

My second choice is the rockshox reba I have looked at some on eBay.

My third choice is A rockshox Tora....

I would love to have a fox I have found some cheap ones but I don't know which go go for.. There are so many..

Will any of these forks fit my bike? Thanks for all your help

Jack Miers

Comments

• I asked a similar question a few weeks ago when I wanted to replace the Dart 3 forks on my Rockhopper. Was recommended the Reba, and I'm delighted with them - got the RLT dual air 100mm travel. Think your current fork is 100mm travel?
    The difference over the Darts is dramatic, not sure how good your current forks are?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    You will need a 1 and 1/8th steerer tube, to find the length, measure your old one.

The Recon Silver is the same as a Tora

The Recon Gold is the same as the older Recons, and is about 300g lighter.

I wouldn't go near Fox at 15 (I know, I'm the same age) as they need much more work than Rockshox, and the work is more expensive.

If you can get a Reba at at a decent price, and in good nick go for one of those, how much is your budget?

This would be perfect at £300, but can be found for around £230 if you look around.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2011-RockShox-Reb ... 15ff02f2ee

Or a Recon, with the same damper, and only a few grams heavier for £250

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... GOLDTK.htm
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Cheers. I have sr sun tours think il go reba thanks
  • I got my 2011 Reba RLT from Merlin for £280, think they are still doing a 10% off deal at the moment so same price.
  • thel33ter
    These come out at £242 in the basket, you ain't gonna beat that.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... 10_880.htm
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Cheers thanks for searching lads.. I'm lookingnfornsome coloured items tom make my bike look nicer any ideas?
  • Thing is do these fit my bike.... I got genesis core 10 and they have sr suntour radons... Could you explain how I measure them.
  • thel33ter
    They will fit.

You won't need to measure anything, apart from the steerer tube when you cut it, unless you get a shop to do it, but you measure it like in this pic. If you are fitting the fork, you will also need a star nut, although it may come with one.

measure-steerer.jpg

As for blingy bits, Bar's and stem can be a make a noticable difference to control and comfort. A new wheelset will make a big performance difference, and if you go for Hope hubs, will look good too.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • What is the difference between the reba sl and the reba race?

Cheers.
  • Thanks for all your help the 33ltr if I bought these forks now. An ale them to a shop that fits forks and they will fit without problem? Just need to know.. It's the reckons or these il buy em tomorow probally.. Cheers
  • thel33ter
    Race version has external floodgate lockout threshold adjustment,basically the adjuster is on the top of the fork leg and externally accessible and activated by a small gold coloured adjuster.

On the SL you have to remove a cap then use an allen key for the same function.
    Other than that they are identical.

The floodgate adjusts how much force is necessary to use the forks travel while locked out (I think)

Go for the cheapest one, as floodgate is pretty much set and forget.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • thel33ter
    Depends on the shop, but most will do it for between £20 to £30.

You can do it yourself with a hacksaw, screwdriver, and hammer, but it is probably better to get a shop to do it.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Cheers il buy em tomorrow hopefully Cambridge bike shops an fit em.. Will they not cause problems for my wheels.. He disc? I know nothing about suspension... Thanks

jack
  • thel33ter
    Depending on the disc mount, you may need a new one, you can tell easily.

Does the part of your current fork that the disc calliper bolts onto look like this?

mz_postmount.jpg

Or this

fork-is-brake-mounts.jpg

It is is the first one, you are ok, if not, you will need a new mount, although they are only £5ish.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Cheers thanks.. Good advice. Much appreciated.