Rehab Bike

lurk
lurk Posts: 11
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Hi, I've already posted this topic in the road bike section but was advised that it may be better suited here, so apologies if you're reading this twice.

Here's the deal:

I recently injured my back so I have a long and dull 3 month rehab period to go through before I can go back to my usual activities.

I have another week and a half of complete rest before I am allowed to do any excercise at all, so I want to use this time to decide on a bike which I will be using later on in rehab when I am allowed to start cycling.

This is where I need your help, I don't have a lot of money going spare at the moment so I have a very small budget of £200 and no more to spend on getting the right bike.

These were my initial thoughts:

A bike that is light (so that I can use it with minimal effort)

Upright handle bars (being hunched over probably won't be too great for the back)

Don't care about fancy breaks

Don't really want/need suspension

Would like thinner tyres and smooth gears (ideally)

Any suggestions or advice really would be very much appreciated and give things a step forward for me.

Thanks a lot

James

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At that price your choice of reasonable bikes is limited, given your 'condition' you really need to try some bikes out which will really mean your best bet is to get to your LocalBikeShop (LBS) and see what they have, only get a bike from one that gives you a good 'feeling', stick to better known brands.

Fancy breaks is tea and fondant fancies I presume?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Brakes, not cakes. :roll:

I agree with The Beginner, for £200 you are very limited, however, have you considered approaching one of the MANY bike hire outlets, there are dozens all over especially tourist spots, they keep them serviced and often sell off older bikes to buy new for the summer.

Avoid Argos, Asda etc.

Light and smooth gears, sorry nothing near £200 comes to mind.

I spent £1400 getting the "right" bike.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    eBay might be your friend.....
  • paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    I broke my BSO not long ago and went on a search with a similar budget, I bought a carrera (which is a halfords brand i believe) although is a much better build quality/spec than the BSOs you get.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Although they are £259 at the mo, not sure what other peoples opinion is though, mine has been fine and regulary take it on the 15 mile round trip to work.
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • got a decathlon near you ??

you should get something very good for very little .

www.decathlon.co.uk
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    paulus69 wrote:
    I broke my BSO not long ago and went on a search with a similar budget, I bought a carrera (which is a halfords brand i believe) although is a much better build quality/spec than the BSOs you get.

Although they are £259 at the mo, not sure what other peoples opinion is though, mine has been fine and regulary take it on the 15 mile round trip to work.

But it isnt a light bike is it.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    paulus69 wrote:

But it isnt a light bike is it.

I am happy to trade off a little extra weight in favour of price!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • lurk
    lurk Posts: 11
    Right, took that lot on board.

I was thinking a carrera subway limited edition, which is currently just under £200 at halfords.
    Or a carrera vengance which is around £250. I know it's not incredibly light but I am keen to get back into mtb after I'm back to full health again.

Let me know your thoughts
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either will be a good buy, the issue is whether they fit you or not, Halfords not offering test rides.

The Carrera has a more upright seating position and may suit your back better than the Vengeance, also some come with adjustable stems so you can shorten the saddle to bars distance and raise the bars.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.