Front Disc Brake

jameschaz
jameschaz Posts: 29
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone

I have a slight problem with my front disc brake. When busing the front beak its started to squeek and its getting worse. Can i resolve this by using any spray? i look forward to any suggestion.

Thanks james

Comments

• trebor127
    trebor127 Posts: 246
    jameschaz wrote:
    Hi everyone

I have a slight problem with my front disc brake. When busing the front beak its started to squeek and its getting worse. Can i resolve this by using any spray? i look forward to any suggestion.

Thanks james

Contaminated disc or pads -Have you sprayed anything near the discs? Give them a good scrub and maybe replace the pads... I've found that the brakes squeal when wet but when they are dry they are silent..
  • Hi there, i havent done done enything as yet! im new to the biking worl mate so not sure when maintaning the bike. Will look into how to cleen them and see if it solves the problem. thank for your advive and help. Is it an easy job to replace myself?
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Check your pads aren't worn away. Given it's the front brake the easiest way to do this is probably remove the wheel and have a good look. There's usually a backing plate with a pad on top, the pad being the bit which actually touches the disk. The pad should be at least a couple of mm thick. If in doubt, take the pads out and inspect - google your make of brake and the power of the internet will show you how. Take care not to pull the brake lever while the wheel is off and particularly while the pads are out or you'll have to prise the pistons apart before you put it back on again.

If the pads still look nice and thick and the brakes still work OK, it's possible that you've got some slight contamination on pads and/or rotors. You could try cleaning the rotors with a disk brake cleaning spray. Equally, you could go out on a nice muddy ride and find the problem disappears along with the top layer of your brake pads! Just make sure that they work alright before committing to anything steep!

Whatever you do don't try lubricating them with anything.
  • thanks for your help mate, really appriciate that. will tray what you have advised. taaaaaaaaaa