Ok Commuter

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Right, I have a bit of a problem. I have a fairly large music collection which I haven't added to in over a year and am in dire need of some musical inspiration. I hope you will be able to help me out by answering the following questions:

1) What’s the best album for riding really hard to?
2) What’s a good album to listen to if your being averagely active but not really pushing it.
3) What’s your favourite 'chill out' album.

I really don't want to get dragged into a debate on whether it is right or wrong to ride whilst listening to music, I just hope to discover some new stuff to add to my collection.

Cheers,

W

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited January 2011
    I don't listen when riding prefer to hear the cars behind. However from the gym

1. Astrix Artcore
    2. 2 Many DJ's - Presents Radio Soulwax Live - Get Yer Yo Yo's Out
    3. The Orb Featuring David Gilmour Metallic Spheres

1. Becuase Pystrance in the gym just makes me peddle harder and faster as it keeps kicking, however any good pystrance will do, this is just one of my favourite Albums. Also try john 00 fleming psy trance euphoria
    2. Because it's not full on all the time and has many classic rock tunes in it.
    3. Well it's The Orb and David Gilmour....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    For the turbo, no one album really - I've put together a play list with a mixture of Basement Jaxx, Chemical Brothers, INXS, Snap, New Order, Coldplay, Meatloaf, the Top Gun soundtrack (you know it's cool), Bare Naked Ladies and other stuff.

As you can imagine, very few copy me... :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    cjcp wrote:
    For the turbo, no one album really - I've put together a play list with a mixture of Basement Jaxx, Chemical Brothers, INXS, Snap, New Order, Coldplay, Meatloaf, the Top Gun soundtrack (you know it's cool), Bare Naked Ladies and other stuff.

As you can imagine, very few copy me... :)

...and totally not ghey.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Anything by Russ Abbot. "Oh What an Atmosphere" - classic.
  • Never listen whilst riding, but I think I can say that Tyrannosaurus Hives by The Hives would neatly fit in the first category. It certainly adds 10 mph when I drive to it.
  • Philcho
    Philcho Posts: 57
    I tend to just put my ipod onto shuffle mode and let the songs play through, that way i get a good mix of chillaxed songs along with the faster paced ones to up the cadence (they work nicely when you have a steep hill to climb) 8)
  • welkman
    Like the sound of 2 many DJs and Astrix Artcore is looking like a good contender for the gym! Russ Abbot - not too sure about this :shock:

My selections would be:

1) Noisia 'Split the Atom', Justice or any Pantera.
    2) I am really fond of the Fabric Live Cut Copy Mix, or any daft punk.
    3)Nick Drake Pink Moon, Cat Power or Laura Viers and the Saltbreakers.

Keep them coming

W
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    For music to chill out to, I think Air are fantastic. Be very careful if you are doping with EPO though, Air is so chilled, your heart may stop. I once read an interview with the members of Air and the interviewer asked what the band members would do if they saw someone dancing to their songs and Air replied "Put the record on the right speed."

That implies that the listener is listening on vinyl, kids.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • For full on exercise I tend isten to any of my old house/techno music compliations; my current favourite is a Tony de Vit mix for Trade. I've just downloaded a Juan Maclean DJ Kicks album and Deadmau5's Random Album Name, both of which sound like they'll do the trick . The Artic Monkeys first album is also surprisingly good as well.

For basic exercise I go for something slightly more downbeat like Underworld. A recent discovery in this area is Caribiou: Swim is an excellent album

for chilling out nothing can beat Chill Out by KLF, which is probablty my favouriite album of all time
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

for chilling out nothing can beat Chill Out by KLF, which is probablty my favouriite album of all time

Never heard that one, only The White Room.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    cjcp wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_Out
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sketchley wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_Out

http://www.last.fm/music/The+KLF/Chill+Out

Don't try cycling home to it, though; you'll just drift off aimlessly!
  • I find some chilled albums help me ride/run harder for longer, e.g. the Man of Aran soundtrack by British Sea Power takes me to another world and will keep me going full tilt longer than anything else at the mo.
  • welkman
    Deadmou5 is on the list and I'm impressed with the KLF suggestion so I may take the plunge on that one as well.

So far this thread is doing a good job of sorting out an 'audio shopping list' for me.

Oh and Caribo seem cool.

Cheers

W
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Not sure which category it would fit into, but I've often thought that Popplagið aka Untitled VIII from () by Sigur Ros would be an excellent accompaniment to a long alpine ascent. Starts off very gently but builds up and up almost without you realising.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pixies do it for me, when driving at least - I don't like the auditory deprivation feeling that comes with headphones when I'm in traffic, either bike or car - I have a tape in the car which is of Doolittle, Bossanova and bits of Surfer Rosa. Cecilia Ann and Gouge Away (in particular) make zooming along a pleasure.
    Unwashed (but well-lubricated) fixed thing, jeans, DMs - FCN 7(?)
  • The soundtrack to the new bike film 'Life Cycles' is pretty awesome. It's on iTunes, by Data Romance. Not long, but only around a fiver. Also, you're supported bike type people.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Tangerine Dream - Le Parc

aka the theme from Streethawk 8)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    welkman wrote:
    Like the sound of 2 many DJs and Astrix Artcore is looking like a good contender for the gym! Russ Abbot - not too sure about this :shock:

My selections would be:

1) Noisia 'Split the Atom', Justice or any Pantera.
    2) I am really fond of the Fabric Live Cut Copy Mix, or any daft punk.
    3)Nick Drake Pink Moon, Cat Power or Laura Viers and the Saltbreakers.

Keep them coming

W

+1 for 2 Many DJs - Radio Soulwax Pt2 is my favourite running mix
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    pastryboy wrote:
    Tangerine Dream - Le Parc

aka the theme from Streethawk 8)

When I was a kid I used to dream of what would have been the 'perfect' TV show using a blend of the great shows on TV at the time.

Street Hawk (Scout)
    The A-Team (infantry)
    Knight Rider (Rapid response)
    Airwolf (close air support)
    Blue Thunder (Aerial command and control)

The nine year old in me still thinks that would have been a great TV show!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • welkman
    Ok so I have done some shopping and have the following on the way:

Soulwax - get your yo yos out
    Soulwax - Radio Soulwax volume II
    KLF - White room
    Deadmou5 - 4x4 = 12
    Deadmou5 - Random album title
    Tron Legacy - Daft Punk
    Fabric Live - High Contrast
    Fabric Live - Andy C

That lot should up the tempo for a bit :P

Have to admit the KLF album is a complete stab in the dark.

W