Cable Question

Danny M
Danny M Posts: 132
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Just kinked my gear cable in the turbo trainer, so i'm going to have to replace.

i have ultegra group set, what cables would you reccommend?

shimano/jagwire/nokon/gore the list of cables seems to be endless do they make that much diffeence?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Are you planning on replacing just the one cable or the whole lot? Easiest/cheapest is to get a new inner and length of outer from your LBS. If you want something a little more distinctive, then perhaps Jagwire Racer which comes in colours. The likes of Gore and Nokon are really an upgrade after you've done everything else. Nokon are a real help if you have some tricky / tight cable runs bu hard to justify if it's just a regular bike.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's just the inner cable, then any aftermarket inner gear cable will do. LBS probably cheaper than halfords. I'd go for stainless given a choice.

If you've kinked the outer near the rear mech then as Monty says, best to replace the whole lot. I prefer the metal ferrules for the outer; the plastic ones always seem to split eventually.

Just replaced the brake cables on an old Peugeot using a Clarkes kit from halfords. Inners are teflon coated and seem pretty smooth from new