Pannier durability?

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
I've recently purchased a pair of carradice carradry rears, and they look pretty sturdy albeit not as attractive as the ortlieb range!

I'm currently only using one on the left of my bike, and after taking it off yesterday noticed that the material has begun to wear through on the bottom right at the back - I've only been running this setup for a couple of weeks now aswell!

It's wearing where it comes into contact with the screw attaching the rack to the bike - is this common, have I installed something wrong or is the pannier just not upto the task?
FCN: 6

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Have a look and see if you can reposition the screw. Give Carradice a call, they were in my experience top notch with customer service. I had the stitching on the securing strap on my Super C start to come undone, a quick phone call and I sent the faulty one back and a new one came back within the week, a complete pannier might be different though.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    If I recall correctly Carradice offer a lifetime warranty on their products.

Give them a call.
  • straas
    Jeeeeeeeeeesus, I have never experienced a company quite like this.

Replied to my initial email in 18 minutes!! and seem very helpful.
  • redvee
    mattomal wrote:
    Jeeeeeeeeeesus, I have never experienced a company quite like this.

Replied to my initial email in 18 minutes!! and seem very helpful.

Few and far between but some companies are still like that.
  • straas
    Have sent them photos, and they're sending me a patch with glue and another plastic protector!

Very decent service!
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I'm sure caradice are excellent but I'd point out that ortleib are just as brilliant. I ran over an ortlieb panier in my car (I know, I know...). The bag itself was unharmed but I did snap the mount. I emailed them saying I was struggling to find a replacement and where could I get one. They sent me one FOC in the post.
  • redvee
    A friend had excellent service from Ortleib, the rolltop I think started to crack where it was rolled over. The shop didn't want to know so he emailed Ortleib who said they's replace it no problem.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I had an issue with a Carradice Super-C handlebar bag - they were very prompt at repairing it. I expect Ortlieb are good too. I've a set of their panniers as well, although I've never needed to check out their customer service (German companies tend to be pretty good though)

Having used - and liked - both Ortlieb and carradice, I find that I prefer the Carradice bags - mainly because of the breathability of the cotton duck; the inside of Ortlieb bags can get pretty rank and whiffy after a while if you've been obliged to pack away damp items, as you inevitably end up doing on a tour. That is one of the drawbacks of bags that are utterly waterproof ..,. on the other hand of course, they ARE utterly waterproof!

Also, the low-key unobtrusive black cotton duck of the Carradice bags tend to look less like 'money' and do not, in my opinion, attract covetous, potentially thieving, eyes so much.
  • I have been using these cheap, £40 a pair, panniers for the last 12 months for commuting: http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Accessorie ... _2832.html

I actually bough mine from Argos but they don't have them any more, but I can heartily recommend them, especially for the price. Tested thoroughly on my 6 mile commute in Cornwall I have found them robust, capacious and totally waterproof.

The Canyon brand is one to keep an eye on IMO, I have also got one of their waterproof bar bags, bought on Ebay for the sum of £9 inc P+P and it is of similar quality. I guess customer service might not match up to that of the big name brands but so far I have not needed to find out.

EDIT: Sorry I had posted a link to the smaller 10 litre front/rear ones, I have the 15litre rear only ones which I can only find for £24+ on line, link changed now.