New headset - a touch stiff

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited January 2011 in The workshop
I recently had a new fork and headset fitted by Brixton cycles. After just a couple of days the headeset came loose and so I took it back into the shop. The mechanic tightened it and told me that it was quite normal for a new headset to slacken at first and that all should be fine now. I have now noticed, however, that the headset feels a little stiff and doesn't move from left to right as freely as I would expect. It doesn't seem to affect my ride, but could it be something to worry about or will it free up in time? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Maybe he's done the top cap up too tight? It's only there to eliminate bearing play, so it does not need to be torqued down hard.

Anyway, it's pretty easy to do it yourself:

1. Loosen the pinch bolts.
    2. Loosen the top cap screw. You should now get a 'clunking' feel in the bars when you apply the front brake and push the bike back and forth.
    3. Gently do up the top cap screw until the 'clunking' sensation disappears
    4. Ensure the bars are straight and tighten the pinch screws

Jobsagoodun.

EDIT: It can't be normal for a headset to come loose after it's been fitted. I think your mechanic is trying to cover up something he did wrong - sounds like he didn't get the crown race fully seated or something and it's been battered into place as you've ridden the bike around.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Thanks very much! I'll try that out.

The mechanic had left it with a fair amount of fork steerer still sticking out to begin with so that I could mess around with spacers until I found the height I wanted. Could this maybe be why things got a little loose? I had to take it back in to have the steerer cut down anyway, but the new stiffness has worried me a little. I'll follow your advice and hopefully that'll get things sorted.

Cheers!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The spacer stack height is irrelevant, new headset bearings don't 'bed in' unless they weren't in snug in the first place, with DW, something wasn't quite right (race not fully home) and settled in as you road taking the preload out and leaving it loose, now he's overcompensated and done it up too tight!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Simon. Not had chance to fiddle today, but hopefully tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how I get on
  • Last1
    Last1 Posts: 45
    Thanks Simon. Not had chance to fiddle today, but hopefully tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how I get on
    Hi
    Its not uncommon to have headsets loosen up after a new bike build. We always check headsets after'' riding round the block'' as a pre sales precaution . The link here explains how to fit and adjust an integrated H/S which I presume you have on your bike. http://www.danscomp.com/install/Integrated_Headset_Install.pdf
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new headset bearings don't 'bed in' unless they weren't in snug in the first place,

Sorry they do. some more than others.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    OK Nick. You're an engineer - do you really think that the bearings are bedding in?

If it's not the crown race not fully seated, my money's on the SFN drifting a bit. But it's deffo not the bearing moving.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Thanks guys. Your fix worked a treat Des.

Not sure whether it was Brixton's fault or not, but I've had a few issues with the bike post service. More on that soon. Maybe it's time for me to learn how to service my bike myself.