Transporting Bikes to the South of France

KirbyJames
KirbyJames Posts: 24
edited January 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

We're thinking of taking a party of 10 or 20 bikers to the South of France (the Cevenne).

By plane we'll have to pay a surcharge of £60 return for each bike (£600 or £1200 total). Another option is for the cyclists to fly down and use a van or delivery service to take the bikes down.

Has anyone used any form of delivery or courier service to transfer bikes to and from France?

Many Thanks - Kirby

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    With that number of cyclists wouldn't it be worth considering hiring a van so you can use it as a support van during the trip (taking it in turns to drive) - it's what French cycling clubs seem to do when they go on trips.
  • How about something like this - http://www.bike-express.co.uk/. No idea how much it cost but you might be able to do a deal on a group that large.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Admittedly on my own but I took my bike down to Aix-en-provence by train (Eurostar to Paris then TGV). It was a really nice trip and much more pleasant than the flight home from Toulouse which was 'orrible.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    the cost of van hire increases hugely if you have to take it abroad.

Solution 1: find a friend with a van and bribe them to join you.

Solution 2: ride to a channel port, take bikes over on the ferry, pick up a van hire at the French port.

It would probably be cheaper to pay a friend's expenses to self-drive than to pay a removal firm to transport the bikes.

You won't get 20 bikes on the same flight and you may even have trouble getting 20 bikes on the same train.

I like the sound of European Bike Express but have never actually used it. A friend of mine did about 15 years ago and said it was fine.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Have you had a quote from the Yorkshire Bikeliner? I believe he charters the bus for groups. http://www.bikeliner.karoo.net/home.htm

I\'m pedaling around the world looking for the sunshine that always seems to come my way.
    www.bikepacker.co.uk