Alps at Easter, cols open to ride?

FHKJ
FHKJ Posts: 151
edited January 2011 in Tour & expedition
I've been invited, with family, to a friend's chalet in Manigod over Easter. Kids and wife ski, but I don't. Does anyone know if Id be able to ride the cols around Manigod at Easter-time?

There are loads of great cols: Col de la Croix Fry, Col de la Merdassier and Col de Plan-Bois, all of which I'd love to ride, but not if they're knee deep in snow...

Help much appreciated!

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    How high are they?
  • FHKJ
    Max 1500-1600m height...
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Easter is late this year (24th April) and so far it's not been a great winter for skiing so at first glance I would have said 'maybe' given the heights of them (1300 - 1500 m) but it seems like the answer is yes....all year round!

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/col-de ... es-aravis/

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/col-de ... an-bois-2/
  • At that height they will probably still have snow on them, anything up to 1200mts should be clear as I am thinking of taking my bike out at the same time to get some climbing practice in before July.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    For the record looking at some my Garmin records of early season passes over the last few years...

25 April - Brünigpass (1007m) - This pass stays open all winter, so no problems.

06 May . Oberergletscher Grindelwald (1225m) Road through Grindelwald normally left 'white' in winter but was black

14 May - Steingletscher (1865m) - Road was blocked (artificially with a snow bank) from this point to the summit. There were some small 'avalanches' across the road on the way back down (that ween't there on the way up!)

17 May - Glaubenbielenpass (1611m) and Glaubenbergpass (1543m) - Snow banks at side of road but both were ploughed and had no problems

29 May - Grosse Scheidegg (1961m) - Road was officially closed at the top although clear. Ducked under the rope and rode through no problems.
  • FHKJ
    Thanks schweiz, I'll probably risk it based on that, much better than riding round Richmond Park...
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    FHKJ wrote:
    Thanks schweiz, I'll probably risk it based on that, much better than riding round Richmond Park...

At those heights then there's a good chance they should be OK, but the weather isn't completely predictable - you can get heavy snowfalls even in April. So it's best to have a Plan B in case a pass is closed. Also there are websites that tell you whether a particular pass is open or not - use the search facility I'm sure there've been posts about this.
  • danny1c
    danny1c Posts: 38
    I went last year in mid May and the Galiber, Croix de fer and Glandon were still closed. It was very cold and had lots of icy showers. Still had a great time though :D
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    It might be a good idea to take snow tyres.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.