Specialized Epic S-Works 2007

ollie51
ollie51 Posts: 517
edited August 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Friend of mine got a new bike and no longer need his frame so he gave it to me; so I turned my bedroom into a workshop yesterday and built it up for; sorry about the boxes/over due homework you can see in the background. It weighs in at 25lbs and should make a nice race bike for the season.

Spec List.

Frame: 07 Epic S-works (M)
Fork: 08 RS Reba teams with pushloc
Wheels: Easton XC one
Cranks: Sram XX 39t-26t (I don't weigh much)
F Mech: XTR
R Mech: XT
Shifter: XT
Cassette: SLX
Chain: PC-991
Bars: Easton EC70
Stem: Spesh in house :(
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: WTB Rocket Pro
Brakes: Avid Juicy Ultimate (yes that is a 140mm on the back)
Pedals: XT
Bar Ends: Bonty Stubbies

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

I plan on getting a nice stem, bar ends and some silicone grips in the near future to get rid of some weight.

Then some RRs for the racing season.

And some lighter wheels to give me a real light pair and training set.

That should get the weight under 24lbs.

Oh and I'll get some 'muddy' pics up soon!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They're good bikes, I had 2007, 2008 and 2009 Epics and the 07 was my favourite I reckon! Wouldn't spend the money on 10 speed to save weight though, lot of expense for negligible weight loss.
  • ollie51
    It's not a massive weight loss I know but I've got the previous generation XT stuff which just really looks out of place on the bike although it would save around half a pound it's quite pricey. (£500) £2 a gram roughly for the advantage of it looking better and an extra gear.
  • njee20
    Far better places to spend £500 IMO, particularly if you want to save weight, but each to their own.
  • Nice. I had one of the original S-Works epics and miss it now its gone.

Who's your friend? Has he got any more top-end, highly expensive, carbon race bike frame's he's prepared to just give away?
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • ollie51
    mattbarnes wrote:
    Nice. I had one of the original S-Works epics and miss it now its gone.

Who's your friend? Has he got any more top-end, highly expensive, carbon race bike frame's he's prepared to just give away?

That would be telling ;)

I'm still yet to ride it :( The rear mech I put on is b*llox*d I've got one on order thankfully.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Its mental that someone just gave you that frame....Well done though. :D
  • You are one lucky son of a gun! I would kill to have that frame.

IMO you should get the wheels lighter with the 500, should shed more weight and make it quicker.
  • ollie51
    edited January 2011
    njee20 wrote:
    Far better places to spend £500 IMO, particularly if you want to save weight, but each to their own.

What did you have in mind?

Also I put up a thread on the buying advice section in regards to wheels after some consideration as there is room for viable improvement in that department. I have a rough idea what to go for just not an extensive knowledge to make an accurate decision. So help please :) (1300g £500 quidish)

But I'm 15 and don't come by £500 or so quid for a new set of wheels that often :( Might see if I can haggle a results present or something out of the ol' man....
  • Very nice indeed. Always been a massive fan of those frames/bikes.

Very nice indeed! 8)
  • saw one of these being repaired in my local Bike shop, looked GORGEOUS. love the broad weave on the carbon fibre
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS
  • njee20
    It's a unidirectional finish on those, no visible weave at all.
    Also I put up a thread on the buying advice section in regards to wheels after some consideration as there is room for viable improvement in that department. I have a rough idea what to go for just not an extensive knowledge to make an accurate decision. So help please (1300g £500 quidish)

Yes I saw that, and commented appropriately, if you want some full on racing wheels and you don't mind sacrificing rim durability and strength go for ZTR Podium rims on ZTR hubs, if you want something more all round take a slight weight penalty and get Alpines. It's where my £500 would go if you want to spend it from the outset, otherwise just wait for bits to break/wear out.
  • omg, you were just given that, why don't these things happen to me? Lovely build mate, lucky barsteward :lol:
  • FRP101
    FRP101 Posts: 1
    Very Nice Bike. :D:wink:
  • ollie51
    So 2x9 stuff and 2x10 cranks didn't work well so I spent some money. There were other upgrades also such as skewers. I'm also yet to fit my Hope BB (waiting on crc for GXP adaptors) .

Frame: 07 Epic S-works (M)
    Fork: 08 RS Reba teams with pushloc
    Wheels: Easton XC one with superstar ti-carbon skewers.
    Cranks: Sram XX 39t-26t (I don't weigh much)
    F Mech: X9 2x10
    R Mech: X9 Carbon medium cage
    Shifter: X9 2x10
    Cassette: XT Dynsa 11-34
    Chain: KMC X10
    Bars: Easton EC70
    Stem: Spesh in house
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    Saddle: Selle italia flite xc gel
    Brakes: Avid Juicy Ultimate 160mm both ends
    Pedals: XT
    Bar Ends: Bonty Stubbies
    Grips: Esi Silicone - These are the most comfy grips ever.

Unfortunately I'm not far from growing out of this, so will be 'downgrading' to an on one whippet frame as it's all I can currently afford :( Then I'll save up and buy a 29er. I rather fancy a canondale.

And the saddle needs moving back.

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg
  • chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    Very nice indeed! :D
    Any idea of weight?
  • ollie51
    23.8 lbs - that's only an estimate though. I reckon it'll be closer to 24lbs.

Unfortunately the only cost effective ways of saving weight would be through the wheels and forks, since I plan to switch to 29er, buying said parts in the long term would be a waste of money.
  • When you get rid of it feel free to pass the frame onto other students (such as myself) as a good faith gesture.
  • njee20
    Why the 11-34 cassette as opposed to 11-36? That's just a waste of 10 speed, could've done that with 9.
  • ollie51
    njee20 wrote:
    Why the 11-34 cassette as opposed to 11-36? That's just a waste of 10 speed, could've done that with 9.

Because that was my preferred ratio, 11-36 is too wide for the riding I do and I've now got a slightly greater range with similar incriments than before. I also needed a new cassette, chain and rear mech due to wear and a front mech and left shifter due to compatibility issues, plus I wanted switch to Sram so for roughly £200 I could get an entire X9 gear set (excluding cranks) and a XT cassette, so I bought the lot.