100 not out!

Nigel Bennett
Nigel Bennett Posts: 653
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
100 what?

Erm... 100 punctures with the same bike. Not the same tube....or tyres...

It's taken me 32000 miles and 7 years to do it.

Perhaps I should drill 100 tiny holes in my top tube as a sort of tally.....

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You keep track of your punctures?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    There are some really weird people on the internet. Hope I never meet any of them in real life.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I thought the stats thread was weird enough.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    That's a pucture every 320 miles? Do you pump them up?
    exercise.png
  • OP - you aren't Gordon's brother by any chance?

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gordon-bennett.html

Do you count snake bites as 1 or 2 punctures?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    TheStone wrote:
    That's a pucture every 320 miles? Do you pump them up?
    Yeah, once every 320 miles.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i had 3 this week, 2 in the front 1 in the rear. might actually start using some winter tyres next year. gatorskins instead of my GP4000s all year round
  • Somebody asked me how much it cost to run my bike. I wondered, too, so I started to keep a record (in Excel) of everything I did to it - punctures, new tyres, headsets, chains, rims, the lot. I could also see what stuff I'd bought was pooh and what was worth buying again.

Running costs worked out at about 3.5p/mile, not including the purchase price of the bike. (That was built from old bits on to a new frame so I couldn't work it out anyway!)

So yes, I keep a record of my punctures. They're more common than usual, perhaps, because I use cast-off tyres from better bikes and it's my winter bike, so the roads are more covered in flints, and wet glass shards slide into tyres more easily.

Yes, I do pump them up (to about 100psi (23c, usually)) and no, I don't count snake bites as two. If I puncture twice on the same piece of flint becasue I've not removed it from the tyre (doh!) that counts as two...

Why do people imply that I'm weird?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Which tyres do you run?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I think that is awesome record keeping! I tried to start something similar once, but when I'd replaced the chain, cassette, brake blocks and tyres without once remembering to record the mileage, I realised I'd set myself an impossible task...

So where can we view your full stats then?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Nice nice, I've just started recording miles and expenditure, which should keep my wallet at bay! Might add punctures but lost count already.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    _Brun_ wrote:
    There are some really weird people on the internet. Hope I never meet any of them in real life.

Look out of your window at the hedge in front of your house, Hi [waves]

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Are you an accountant by trade?
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • "What kind of tyres do you run?"

Since you ask:

Hutchinson (no idea which ones now)
    Michelin Axial Pro Italia (19C)
    Michelin Axial Pro
    Michelin Axial Pro Winter
    Hutchinson Reflex
    Vittoria Open Corsa CX (A gift from a work colleague. They were pooh - one only lasted 300 miles before it was so badly kinked I had to chuck it away!)
    Vittoria Rubino
    Michelin Orium
    Michelin Erylium
    Scwalbe Lugano
    Michelin Pro Race 2

(All 23C except Axial Italias.)

A lot of the choices were simply what the LBS had in stock at the time.

The Pro Race 2s have been the best so far. Even when nearly bald they still puncture less frequently than many of the others. They last well, too; I've got over 3000 miles out of the last one - it's on the rear, too.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    One puncture every 320 miles sounds like too many to me

The only time I got close to that kind of figure was with Continental 4 Seasons and problems with rim tape

Marathon Plusses seem to do 7000+ miles between punctures. I'd find a figure of 2000 miles acceptable
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    vorsprung wrote:
    I'd find a figure of 2000 miles acceptable

That's currently about where I am, maybe even pushing 2500. One every 320 is very unlucky...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:
    I'd find a figure of 2000 miles acceptable

That's currently about where I am, maybe even pushing 2500. One every 320 is very unlucky...

Fate is a cruel mistress, and the PF is even crueller...

Day off today and I'm in training for my LEJOG ride in May so I'm planning a reasonable 40 mile ride before my appointment with the dentist at 11:45. Set off at about 7:30, warm up slowly because it's a very cold start, first time I've used my new Edge 705 as well so I'm getting used to that. Do some great hill training and start to head back home. 23.63 miles and the PF hits, and she hits hard, on a smooth tarmacked damp roundabout almost sending me flying. Luckily the tyre didn't come off the rim but I'm now roughly 15 miles from home without my wallet or a way of repairing the puncture. Phone the missus and she dutifully comes and picks me up, but it's now 11am so when I get home at 11:30 I have to have a 5 min shower and skip my desperately needed recovery meal... end up passing out twice in the dentist chair because it was boiling and I'd only eaten a banana all day! 2 lessons learnt in one foul swoop...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Mr Plum wrote:
    ...but I'm now roughly 15 miles from home without ... a way of repairing the puncture.

Schoolboy error there :wink:
  • Mr Plum
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:
    ...but I'm now roughly 15 miles from home without ... a way of repairing the puncture.

Schoolboy error there :wink:

Indeed, it'll not happen again!
    FCN 2 to 8