If you cycle in the Square Mile read on

EC2boy
EC2boy Posts: 37
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
The City of London has just issued its draft transport plan for the next three years.

The City has the money to make a massive difference to cycling in London. But its transport plan is full of worrying compromise. For example, it undertakes

1) To ensure no increase in average journey times for car drivers (ie cars and taxis will continue to dominate the City's streets)

and

2) that cycle infrastucture will be built with the needs of all road users in mind (ie forget improvements for bikes)

To my mind, this is a manifesto for car drivers, not for sustainable travel or safer roads. There are some good bits. e.g. an intention to get cycling to 10% of all journeys. But they promised 12% share of all journeys in their last plan in 2005 and then did nothing about it. So, they've actually gone backwards as well as flunking the target.

Contrast the City plan with Southwark's plan, which explicitly states that car speeds will be subject to improvements for cyclists and pedestrians. Or with Camden where they've committed to improving congestion by encouraging people to switch to bikes.

I'd be hugely grateful if you could encourage anyhow you feel has experience of the Square Mile to object to this plan by sending an email from their work address before 12 February. If they could cc cyclistsinthecity@gmail.com that would be a huge help.

I've drafted a template which people can edit down and send to the contact names on this page here http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/201 ... s-now.html

A summary of the City's transport spending plans here http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/201 ... ondon.html

And a comparison of the City vs Southwark here http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/201 ... sport.html

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Southwark - largely Lib Dem.

The City? A confusing array of weird stuff, but you can bet it's not largely lib dem or labour!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Not surprising really, The City Police have a rubbish record with regard to cycling....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Not surprising really, The City Police have a rubbish record with regard to cycling....

they do indeed.

rather than have a word with the idiot who continued to ride past not 1 or 2 but 5 "cyclists MUST dismount signs" when stoney lane was shut to traffic, they just wlaked straight past him.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Not surprising really, The City Police have a rubbish record with regard to cycling....

London gets more bike police
    29/09/2010 Bike to Work

Extra officers have joined the Metropolitan Police Service (Cycle Task Force to help improve cycle safety and to crackdown on road users who disobey the rules of the road.

The operation resulted in:

More than 900 Fixed Penalty Notices (FPN) of up to £60 issued to drivers and motorcyclists;
    Over 400 FPNs of up to £60 issued to cyclists;.

There are seven times as many private car journeys in London than bike journeys.

So it looks as though the commuters least likely to kill or injure anyone are the ones disproportionately targetted by the cops.
  • Headhuunter
    Not surprising really, The City Police have a rubbish record with regard to cycling....

29/09/2010 Bike to Work

Extra officers have joined the Metropolitan Police Service (Cycle Task Force to help improve cycle safety and to crackdown on road users who disobey the rules of the road.

More than 900 Fixed Penalty Notices (FPN) of up to £60 issued to drivers and motorcyclists;

There are seven times as many private car journeys in London than bike journeys.

So it looks as though the commuters least likely to kill or injure anyone are the ones disproportionately targetted by the cops.

That's the Met, this thread is about the City Police - it's 2 different forces entirely
  • Headhuunter

29/09/2010 Bike to Work

But yes I agree with the point you are making. Disproportionate targetting of road users who are the least threat... But we've had this argument before. In a minute W1 will be along...
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636

29/09/2010 Bike to Work

But yes I agree with the point you are making. Disproportionate targetting of road users who are the least threat... But we've had this argument before. In a minute W1 will be along...

Afternoon....
  • Headhuunter
    W1 wrote:

29/09/2010 Bike to Work

Afternoon....

Ah, there you are....
  • W1
    W1 wrote:

29/09/2010 Bike to Work

Afternoon....

Ah, there you are....

Sorry I'm late.

Anything new?
  • Headhuunter
    W1 wrote:
    W1 wrote:

29/09/2010 Bike to Work

Afternoon....

Ah, there you are....

Sorry I'm late.

Anything new?

No, nothing new. Let's not have this "discussion" again... I'm fresh out of the RLJ thread and haven't got any energy. Nice weekend?
  • W1
    W1 wrote:
    W1 wrote:

29/09/2010 Bike to Work

Afternoon....

Ah, there you are....

Sorry I'm late.

Anything new?

No, nothing new. Let's not have this "discussion" again... I'm fresh out of the RLJ thread and haven't got any energy. Nice weekend?

Ditto on all counts!

Very constructive weekend (after Saturday morning recovery). You?
  • Headhuunter
    W1 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    W1 wrote:

29/09/2010 Bike to Work

Afternoon....

Ah, there you are....

Sorry I'm late.

Anything new?

Ditto on all counts!

Yes, pretty good although no cycling unfortunately, hoped to get a ride in with the club but things to do - mostly boring stuff like shopping...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    W1 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    W1 wrote:

29/09/2010 Bike to Work

Afternoon....

Ah, there you are....

Sorry I'm late.

Anything new?

Ditto on all counts!

Yes, pretty good although no cycling unfortunately, hoped to get a ride in with the club but things to do - mostly boring stuff like shopping...
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Genius. Absolutely love it!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    EC2boy wrote:
    The City of London has just issued its draft transport plan for the next three years.

The City has the money to make a massive difference to cycling in London. But its transport plan is full of worrying compromise. For example, it undertakes

2) that cycle infrastucture will be built with the needs of all road users in mind...

I can't see a problem with this at all.

It is appropriate that facilities take into account the need of all road users.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666