Dissapearing posts and text

twonks
twonks Posts: 352
Not sure if this has been said before, but I tried a few searches and nothing came up.

For some time, Bikeradar has been the only forum I use that seems to have dissapearing text as I hover the mouse over it.

A bit hard to describe, but sometiimes as I want to click on a link to a thread, the whole thread title goes blank and is unclickable.

Every thread I then hover over does the same until I refresh the screen.

Also when typing out a thread, if the content goes deeper than the box and it has to scroll upwards, it doesn't work properly and text seems to bounce around and not be visible until I post the thread.

Both are rather annoying and not happening on any other forum I frequent.

Using IE8 on Vista if it helps.

Cheers.

Comments

• mr_sj
    mr_sj Posts: 507
    same thing happens to me quite often
  • Same here only on the forum index page once I've opened a thread all seems fine ...and also get the same problem when writing a thread :(
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try the compatibility view button.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Also noticed posts and images disappearing within the last few days..eg..My classified ad had responses from other members and in turn responses from me, but they have now gone, noticed posts from other members have gone as well on topics i've commented on....BR going into meltdown? same for IE8 and Firefox
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    My posts still aren't working, despite it apparently being posted. This site has been crud recently, with no explanation :(
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    crazy88 wrote:
    My posts still aren't working, despite it apparently being posted. This site has been crud recently, with no explanation :(
    Err there have been messages on most sections of the forum and a a big one over the top of the top forum saying that it was down. and this has been shown since Friday last week.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The disappearing text has been a problem for a while. Any info would be appreciated. G.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • crazy88
    edited February 2011
    nicklouse wrote:
    crazy88 wrote:
    Err there have been messages on most sections of the forum and a a big one over the top of the top forum saying that it was down. and this has been shown since Friday last week.

It's not really an explanation though was it. They just said it was down and would be fixed monday...which it wasn't. If it was the fact that it had reached 16 million posts they could have told us that from the start rather than keeping everyone guessing.

And when the deadline for the 21st passed, i'd have thought they'd have updated it saying "Still not quite there, bear with us a little longer" but nooooooooooooooo.

And it's still not fixed either. Can't imagine it's doing the userbase any good.

COME BACK BIKE RADAR!!! :D
  • Those who needed to know were in the know and those that didn't went to the Crudcatcher on facebook and found out.

BE WARNED.

By the way the disappearing text thing in the thread list pages seems to have stopped now.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • crazy88
    Well, I agree we didn't need to know, but it's usually polite to let your customers know what's going on. Afterall, without us this site would be nothing. It wouldn't have been hard to write a reason, and it's also quite a nice achievement to have 16 million posts so perhaps some bragging about it?

And what about those without facebook? Unfortunately not everyone in the world has/ wants facebook. I don't have it, and have no interest in getting it.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    crazy88 wrote:
    Well, I agree we didn't need to know, but it's usually polite to let your customers know what's going on. Afterall, without us this site would be nothing. It wouldn't have been hard to write a reason, and it's also quite a nice achievement to have 16 million posts so perhaps some bragging about it?

And what about those without facebook? Unfortunately not everyone in the world has/ wants facebook. I don't have it, and have no interest in getting it.

It was on the main Bike Radar homepage. You're welcome.
  • crazy88
    Welcome for what?

And why couldn't they have kept the post updated? It just seems a simple solution. They noted people of the issue everywhere but the forum itself. I never use the homepage, only the forum, and don't use Facebook.

It just seems like the obvious place to notify users of a forum about problems would be the forum itself? You're welcome.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    If the forum isn't working, how can they notify you via the forum? Think about what you say before you type.

The vast majority of traffic to this site (of which the forum is just one part) comes in via the home page so that would make that the sensible place for information to be passed on. This is what the people who run the site did.
  • crazy88
    Andy wrote:
    If the forum isn't working, how can they notify you via the forum? Think about what you say before you type.

The vast majority of traffic to this site (of which the forum is just one part) comes in via the home page so that would make that the sensible place for information to be passed on. This is what the people who run the site did.

Then how did they manage to have a post stating that there was some problem, but giving no details? They stated there was a problem and that it would be fixed by the 21st, which it wasn't. It would have made sense to update that post too when they realised the problem was going to take longer. It's nice to keep your customers updated as much as possible.

I understand it was most likely a surprise it happened, but just seems like it would have been handy to have said on the forum what any problems were.

So I did think before I type, stop trying to be patronising.
  • sandy hill wrote:
    By the way the disappearing text thing in the thread list pages seems to have stopped now.

Its back. :(
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    crazy88 wrote:
    Andy wrote:

Then how did they manage to have a post stating that there was some problem, but giving no details? They stated there was a problem and that it would be fixed by the 21st, which it wasn't. It would have made sense to update that post too when they realised the problem was going to take longer. It's nice to keep your customers updated as much as possible.

I understand it was most likely a surprise it happened, but just seems like it would have been handy to have said on the forum what any problems were.

So I did think before I type, stop trying to be patronising.
    "They" would be me in this case. I apologise for not updating the date in the announcements. It was based on the initial info I was given. And by the time it changed, I'd unfortunately forgotten I'd put that date in there so just left the announcements as they were. The mods didn't know either so they couldn't change the posts.

Remember the forum is a free service and is a part of a much larger site.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • crazy88
    I do remember that it's a free service that you offer, and I was well gutted when this forum wasn't around. I might not have that many posts, but I read a lot and find it a brilliant place to come ask questions when a search doesn't provide the answer.

I was probably frustrated as I wanted some info regarding brakes which I knew i'd get very quickly from, this forum, but I had to go elsewhere and search. Other forums aren't as busy and people don't reply so I was gutted the site wasn't working. Anyway, I found the answers I wanted eventually, and the forum is working again, happy days.

I even notice the time/ date stamp associated with posts is working again :D
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Jeez, lighten up people.
    It's only an interwebs forum.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Disappearing text for me too. Really annoying.
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Disappearing text has migrated to home page...
    exercise.png
  • supersonic
    Can people please state the browsers and versions they are using? As it seems limited to certain set ups.
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Should have said Forum homepage. I have Windows 7 and IO8.
    exercise.png
  • Pipster3
    Pipster3 Posts: 82
    Any news on a fix guys ??? the disappearing text still happens on the forum index page...sometimes I have to log in and out 3 or 4 times before I can get past the index page...

My PC and Laptop both have the problem ...Both use Sky broadband only the Laptop has a wifi connection ...both running Windows internet explorer the PC is Windows XP and the laptop Windows 7 ...

But my Iphone 4 using Safari is fine with the Sky wifi connection ...

Really enjoying the site a lot of good posts and info on here but this niggle is doing my head in :D

Thanks in advance for any help ...
  • supersonic
    The Compatibilty View button with Explorer solved it for me.
  • Pipster3
    supersonic wrote:
    The Compatibility View button with Explorer solved it for me.

Could you please tell me how to find this button :D as my computer skills are very limited :lol:

Regards

Phil
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    next to the refresh button, not the stop Cross.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Pipster3
    Thanks Guys thats seems to have sorted it :D