Couple of probs!

GAZAMAN77
GAZAMAN77 Posts: 44
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
I have been riding now for about 4 months and I absolutely love it. Have done a couple of 30(ish) mile steady trails and the odd technical route.
It makes a change for me to get so into something. I normally get ideas into my head and try new things but lose interest very quickly.
This isnt the case this time as every time I go out, I enjoy it even more.
I do however have a couple of things holding me back. Firstly up hill sections......I am absolutely rubbish at up hills. Within 5 mins of riding up hill my legs feel like lead, Im blowing out my backside and my glasses have steamed up.....Its frustrating as I want to be able to get through everything without any probs. Does anybody have any advice how to attack up hills? I'm guessing its just what you get used to and adjust over time but any advice would be welcome.
Secondly is lower back ache. Within an hour of riding my lower back starts to ache big time. I dont normally have any back issuesso I'm guessing its my position on the bike. I'm 6' 2" and ride a Giant Talon 2.5 (the largest size they do). I'm hoping this will get less over time but at the minute its doing my head in! Maybe exercising before going out? Or my bike setup? I dont really know what to adjust on the bike to change posture etc. If I went into a bike shop would they check the set up for me?
I really want to enjoy my rides but these 2 issues are holding me back and frustrating me.

Thanks in advance
Gaz

Comments

• My advice for tacking hills - keep practising and work on your fitness. I'm a fat bloke, and it's taken some getting used to but now I'm getting up hills pretty quick. I also found that by using SPD pedals it helped, as if your attached to the pedals more, your overall efficiency tends to be improved (this does obviously depend on riding styles).

Lower back ache could be down to an incorrect geometry from what I have read previously. By adjusting the saddle height, handlebar height, and angle of the "cockpit" you should be able to help ease the pain somewhat. I used to get terrible lower back ache when riding for more than an hour, and found out that the angle my saddle was at, and the angle of the "cockpit" was totally wrong for my build.
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    Does anybody have any advice how to attack up hills?
    If it's a big steady climb, just take it easy - really easy - at the start. Diesel it, spin it, whatever it takes to get yourself used to the idea you are going uphill. When your breathing has stabilised and you can talk in short bursts, think about winding it up. 20% effort at the start, 80% at the end.

Short climbs can usually be attacked but if there's a chance to conserve energy if the gradient eases briefly, take it.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Yep, as Mossmotorsport says, practise on the hills makes perfect.. choose an easy gear to spin up in, and just push yourself a little more each time.. it will take a while, but your fitness will gradually build up and you'll be destroying the hills in no time. Psychologically, tell yourself you can do it, push yourself and you'll be fine :) However, that said, know your limits.. if you feel like you're about to throw up (been there!), stop for a breather!

As for the setup of the bike, you could always pop into your local bike shop (LBS) to ask them to help with setting it up for you, but as above, a general play with the saddle, stem and bars usually does the trick :)
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Hill climbing is a struggle for everyone :wink: As mentioned practice and a bit of weight training on legs and back will certainly help. Finding the right gear to start off and finish is a skill, not luck. Also, body position to help rear wheel grip is also a skill with experience.

The biggest improvement however is body weight, the more pounds you lose the easier the hills are believe me.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    To add to mine, I was told years ago, that if you tuck your elbows in towards your body, and get flatter to the bars, it makes things easier too (for going uphill).

Works for me.. now I quite enjoy going up. Not as much as going down, but I don't hate it! :D
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Stav wrote:
    Yep, as Mossmotorsport says, practise on the hills makes perfect.. choose an easy gear to spin up in, and just push yourself a little more each time.. it will take a while, but your fitness will gradually build up and you'll be destroying the hills in no time. Psychologically, tell yourself you can do it, push yourself and you'll be fine :) However, that said, know your limits.. if you feel like you're about to throw up (been there!), stop for a breather!
    I usually find I don't feel like I'm going to throw up until I've stopped. So I usually get the hill over with and stop at the top to recover. That's probably not recommended though.

How are you riding when you're back starts to ache. I find if I'm riding in the "attack position", standing on the pedals not sat on the saddle my back gets pretty sore as well. For me I think it's just too many years of my back fighting against the weight at the front trying to pull me down as I get back pain on other occasions but it could be your back just not used to the work it has to do.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    GAZAMAN77 wrote:
    Secondly is lower back ache...

This may just be your body getting used to being on a bike for long periods, but if it doesn't improve then get your riding position checked out - maybe you're just over-stretched slightly, or your saddle needs tilting nose-down a fraction.

Maybe something useful in here... (I apologise now for reading the Road forum :) )
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12750681&highlight=lower+back+pain
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    with the lower back stretch your hamstrings really well before you ride
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • plodtv
    plodtv Posts: 40
    I was getting lower back issues so I started doing weighted hyperextensions at the gym, this seems to have helped a lot.
  • nipper9
    nipper9 Posts: 120
    hi mate
    i struggled with hills predominately burning out before i reached the top!!
    then i went out with an experienced rider who told me to get into a higher gear ( middle front ring ) now nothing beats me also a tip he gave me was to pull on the opposite grip to the pedal ur pushing ( i think its called honking )

as for the back warming up and stretching are all well and good but nothing will beat a strong core to start with 10 mins of simple core work everyday will do you wonders

as for setting up the bike right you can go to numerous lbs and they will all give u similar advice

you could also spend thousands on a new bike and all the fashionable gear which apparently will make you a better rider and ultra fit and super cool

cheers paul
    " PERSEVERE B4 U DISAPPEAR "

specialized rockhopper sl comp 2010
    specialized rockhopper comp 2003?
    trek 800 antelope 1993
    raliegh chopper mk2 1976
    raliegh tomahawk 1973
    raliegh budgie
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Honking? Really? New one on me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nipper9
    yeah honking call it what u like it works a treat trust me

honking if wrong still sounds cool so got to be good

cheers paul

trek 800 antelope 1993
    raliegh chopper mk2 1976
    raliegh tomahawk 1973
    raliegh budgie
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you're struggling on the hills and also have lower back problems I suspect you're pedalling too slowly. Use a lower gear and pedal faster, will be hard at first but you'll soon get used to it. Pedal at least 60rpm, so one revolution of the pedals a second.

I'd also check that one of your brakes isn't dragging and the tyres aren't under inflated.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Thanks everybody for your help and advice.
    I'll just stick at the hills and hopefully my fitness will improve over time! :D

My back pain doesn't seem to happen in any certain position. It just starts after being on the bike for a while. Its almost like my back doesn't like being "hunched" over for very long. I find myself wanting to get off the bike and standing up straight to relieve it.
    At the end of the last ride I went on (3 hour route on varying terrain) I had to push my bike up a long very steep uphill (it wasn't rideable as it was riddled with large,loose rocks) and my back was in agony. I was pushing my bike with my head down and to be honest I just wished I wasn't there at that moment in time.
    Again I'm just hoping this is due to lack of experience and fitness and in time my back will "bed-in"
    I will try the hamstring warm ups before rides and maybe excercise my back more.( I play squash but nothing that puts any pressure on my back for a long period of time.

Thanks again
    Gaz
  • nipper9
    mtbing and squash is a sure fire way of developing short hamstings and bad lower back problems

like that has been said strengthen ur core and lenghten ur hammies
    cheers paul

trek 800 antelope 1993
    raliegh chopper mk2 1976
    raliegh tomahawk 1973
    raliegh budgie
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    For all the numpties recommending lengthening hammies great, but ultimately pointless as you're not fixing the cause...

Stretch your hip flexors as well as your hamstrings and work on your glute activation and you'll find life a lot lot better.
  • nipper9
    sometimes us numpties try and be as basic as possible for
    other less medically trained riders.
    but hey u can now be head of all medical and physical advice
    good luck with it

cheers 1 of the helpful numpties

trek 800 antelope 1993
    raliegh chopper mk2 1976
    raliegh tomahawk 1973
    raliegh budgie
  • Thanks again for all the replies. I'm going to start doing hamstring stretches and working on my back every evening.I have tried an excercise that requires me to lay on my front with my hands down near my head, then i pull my head up and arch my back while pulling my arms down to my sides and pulling my shoulder blades in. This feels quite good so i'll keep at this one and see how it goes.
    I know sit ups are mainly for abs but I may make them a regular excercise as sit ups seems to relieve my bad back a little.

Gaz
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    t0pc4t wrote:
    with the lower back stretch your hamstrings really well before you ride

This.

I think people underestimate the importance of stretching...I've been riding for best part of 15 years and very rarlely stretch, Im now getting lower back pain, knee and calf muscle pain, ALL down to not stretching. Cyclists hamstrings get tight and effectively shorten over time if not stretched out properly, so STRETCHING and proper bike set up are essential. :)