Boy Racer Mark Cavendish

dilemna
dilemna Posts: 2,187
edited January 2011 in Pro race
I tried doing a search but it brought up lots of irrelevant stuff.

Have just ordered Cav's book. Is it a good read or will it be awful, the worst item I've bought for £5?
Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
Think how stupid the average person is.......
half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For fiver it's OK, but not a keeper. They're probably remove the 'gushy' last page about his fiancee since he 'chucked' her
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I enjoyed the read and it was one of the first 'pro cycling' books I started on. I've since read a few others to give a comparison and it is still rated OK in my view.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Mr Cavendish's book is a delight, from cover to cover. Under-rated, in my opinion- superb descriptions of the racing.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    To offer some balance, it was awful. I came away from the book disliking him even more. So I think it might be a book that reinforces existing opinions. Also, I have a problem with someone at the beginning of his career writing....sorry, producing a book.

Lent it to 2 people at work. One enjoyed it, the other gave up as he couldn't stand it.

* - I read just about all english language cycling literature I can get my hands on.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • IanT187
    IanT187 Posts: 25
    He seemed to spend a lot of the time in the book trying to persuede you he wasn't an arrogant tw@t :roll:
    I read the book from cover to cover (which is an achievement for me) but I would give it no more than 5 out of 10 and by the end of it I had pretty much decided there was some truth in what he was trying to persuede you against. Funny thing is I didn't start off having that opinion about him, but I did after reading his book.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Not the best read, not the worst, don't think he ever really drops his guard and reflects honestly about stuff but there's a degree of added interest from him being a current rider.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    I just finished reading this last week and enjoyed it alot.!

Very interesting and informative. Ill be reading it a second time at some point for sure.!
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Have to say that I definitely enjoyed it. I think people are a little harsh on him for being someone lets say who wears his heart on his sleeve. That sort of person will say stuff that might occasionally endear himself to others and occasionally the opposite! Can't see how you can be hugely critical of the book. He's a cyclist not a literary genius!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    If you like Cav, then you might like the book. Don't expect some literary wonder, this is the classic sports biography, "I belived in myself, I overcame an obstacle, I succeeded" sort of stuff. Alright for a fiver but I think it's being re-written. Gossip mongers might enjoy the second version, if it covers his Panamanian girlfriend, the troubles of his brother and the struggles of 2010.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    tremayne wrote:
    Can't see how you can be hugely critical of the book. He's a cyclist not a literary genius!

The actual writing was done by someone (sometimes) of this parish I believe.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • robert-sb
    robert-sb Posts: 118
    I was given this book as a present because, typically, I don't like autobiographies. However, I was pleasantly surprised at this I actually enjoyed it ! Granted it is no weighty literary tome but no-one expects it to be.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    iainf72 wrote:
    tremayne wrote:
    Can't see how you can be hugely critical of the book. He's a cyclist not a literary genius!

The actual writing was done by someone (sometimes) of this parish I believe.

Ah, that explains a lot :wink:

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Hi

I like the book - its great to see a pro with such passion for the sport.

Ive read so many cycling biogs/autobiogs that are depressing
  • dilemna
    I shall keep an open mind. Amazon state it will be arriving thursday. Does it have pics?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • tremayne
    Ian - totally agree with you and to be fair, it was always my assumption that someone else would be writing it up - probably off the back of taped interview(s).

However - my point still stands in that he just isn't someone who is going have the litarary nous to have much input into the review stages or even have much idea what seperates a masterpiece from a running commentary of his accomplishments. The book says it like it is/was and nothing much more than that. It could be argued that this is Cav all over.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dilemna wrote:
    I shall keep an open mind. Amazon state it will be arriving thursday. Does it have pics?

Yes it has pictures, which reveal that Cav was a remarkably fat baby/toddler.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • PinkBianchi
    PinkBianchi Posts: 63
    edited January 2011
    I found the book to be very good! And that might be because it's very well written (by Daniel Friebe) compared to Brad Wiggins book (which I found to be a long list of numbers and race times from cover to cover) and not to mention Cadel Evans book which is absolutely horrible! I've read about 4 chapters and I can't stand picking it up. It seems it's written by a 5 year old.

However I don't mind Cav and found the book to be honest, and if you don't like him then, yeah, you're gonna keep thinking he's a tw@t.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    It's not Cav's book, it's a book about Cav written by a ghost writer pretending to be him as is the case so often.

I have read it and would say that it would help to be a Cav fan; otherwise you may end up just giving out a lot of negative comments as previous in this post.

These days it's not enough to be at the top of your sport is it?

Set them up and shoot them down as they say, if you want to know more about his cycling achievements then try reading stuff written about Cav by William Fotheringham.

Why is it that some denigrate Cavendish for being a bit like a footballer when we as a Nation can't get enough football, which as a nation we are not that good at and treat them like heroes, I find it mildly strange. :shock:
  • dilemna
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    It's not Cav's book, it's a book about Cav written by a ghost writer pretending to be him as is the case so often.

I have read it and would say that it would help to be a Cav fan; otherwise you may end up just giving out a lot of negative comments as previous in this post.

Set them up and shoot them down as they say, if you want to know more about his cycling achievements then try reading stuff written about Cav by William Fotheringham.

Why is it that some denigrate Cavendish for being a bit like a footballer when we as a Nation can't get enough football, which as a nation we are not that good at and treat them like heroes, I find it mildly strange. :shock:

I guess people are fickle. Some people because of their own jealousy and insecurity hate and despise those who are better at something than them and will do everything to bring them down.
  • tremayne
    As far as Cav goes, I just can't see what's not to like. Yeah - he shoots his mouth off sometimes without thinking. However, such instances are becoming fewer and further between. When he is given time to think - some of his interviews and responses can only be viewed as inspirational. We can argue about how much is him saying what he's saying or perhaps it's coming from his pr people. I like to think the former.

As far as his actual performances go..... mind blowing. Utterly amazing. Who can forget that last ten seconds of camera footage on the champs elysee. Where's Cav? Then in the far of the shot, he motors past. I had to stand up at that point. The man will be a legend by the time he's done and we should be happy he's GB.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    dilemna wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

I guess people are fickle. Some people because of their own jealousy and insecurity hate and despise those who are better at something than them and will do everything to bring them down.

As I am rushing head long into my sixties a thought just occurred to me......' maybe, just maybe we should say something nice about someone we like and say nothing about those we don't.
    Think it's known as setting a positive example :wink:
  • dilemna
    Well I just finished reading Cav's book Boy Racer and I have to say I am impressed. I wish I had had his talent, self belief and determination at such a young age, then perhaps things might have been different for me and the cycling world :wink: .

Anyway an excellent book. He doesn't suffer fools gladly though. Even if before you start reading you are fairly ambivalent about him or even aren't keen on him, you can't but end up liking the guy as there is a lot more to him than the negative drivel the gutter media and idiots on forums have written about him. I felt like I was winning a few stages of the Tour as he guides you to the finish. Yup, an excellent read, warts and all, on the world of Pro bike racing.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I think he did a bit of bridge mending in private as his account of some things was not necessarily that of others.

In any event at least it wasn't a boring read. I read Chris Boardman's book a few years back and I have to say it was a bit dull...I suspect Chris did not have a ghost writer
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    I don't like what I read about footballers, the mentality of football supporters towards any other club or the rambling so-called analysis of football-loving media. Cycling is unlike those so-called team sports and it's one of the things I like about it.
    I think he did a bit of bridge mending in private as his account of some things was not necessarily that of others.
    Well, it was his version of events. I will try to get hold of the book. I'm ambivalent about Mark Cavendish. Part of me loves his way of winning - plucky young kid socks it to 'em and ruffles feathers but part of me detests what arrogance. This peaked with his unnecessary and boorish 'Agincourt' gesture at Romandie. He could have made his point without it. It was so footballer-ish, you might say. At least it gave us light-fearing forumites plenty to chew on. Life would be boring if we were all the same.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    tremayne wrote:
    The man will be a legend by the time he's done and we should be happy he's GB.

I disagree.

He is a Legend already. I have never screamed as much for anyone to succeed in any sport as I do at Cav when he's in a sprint.

Watching him with the final stage in Paris the last 2 years in a row has been utter magic.

And he has so many years in front of him as well!