Weekend in the South-East

albo
albo Posts: 260
edited January 2011 in Routes
We're thinking about going away for a trip to the SE (only place we haven't been... I think).

And I've looked around and found a hand full of decent places - Tilgate, Friston, Bedgebury and Leith Hill... and a couple more.

So what I was wondering was:

1.) Is it worth a long weekend down there, seeing as we wouldn't properly know our way around?

2.) What is the riding like? I'm not expecting Scottish mountains or Welsh Valleys, but comparable to places such as Cannock Chase?

Thanks to anyone who can help out!

albo.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Surrey Hills would be the best bet, not entirely sure about a weekend here, you could do Swinley one day and SH another, but you'd need a guide for both ideally.

Obviously depends what you like, but I prefer the Surrey Hills to Afan and the like, and personally find it far superior to Cannock, although I've only been a couple of times. You can easily do a 40 mile ride, 99% off road, if you include the North Downs you can do 60-70 miiles, there's plenty of hills and more fast flowing singletrack than you can shake a stick at.

Check out the London Calling thread, they ride around here virtually every weekend, I don't think it's unfair to say it's a very social pace. If I'm around I'm happy to lead a quicker ride.