Gear cable outer wide bore.

daveyroids
daveyroids Posts: 223
edited February 2011 in The workshop
I am wanting to replace my outer brake casing with gear casing for my rear brake to improve performance. I did this years ago on a haro escape with STX brakes. At that time you could buy gear casing from Shimano which had a large bore. Brake cables used to easily fit through. The advantage being that gear cable is compression-less meaning that more power is transferred to the brake.

Question is is this sort of casing still available?

Looked around and can't find it myself.

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Can't say I've ever seen it on a reel but you can use a BMX linear cable. You would have to check the length they come in but it is the same as gear outer.
    http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.ph ... 1832c948be
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    daveyroids
    you may be confused. years ago some people used to fit gear inners for use in there brakes.

what you are suggesting, if possible which it is not, would result in split outers. gear outers are not designed for the compressive forces if brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have come across the practice of using gear cables as brake cables in the past and don't like that idea. I am also aware that gear outers are not designed for the job but they do work well. I used to buy gear outer off the reel at my LBS but I have not been able to find it for a while now. My last spares have now ran out.

I will look into the BMX option.

Anymore options out there.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    daveyroids wrote:
    I am wanting to replace my outer brake casing with gear casing for my rear brake to improve performance

daveyroids wrote:
    I will look into the BMX option.

so you are saying that you now want to use brake outer from a BMX for your brakes?

they take the same inner as MTB. which is 1,5mm or 1,58mm if teflon coated.

some brake cable makers do provide the same outer for both gear and brake which I have found not that good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I used to cable my mtb up with 'tandem' cables, substantially oversized. A quick google showed a few stockists.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Goodrige brake cable outer is compressionless, is the same make up as gear outer, ie longitudinal rods rather than spiral. Can be bought for £4.99 per meter from places like CRC. I use it for mechanical disc brakes, running full outers for both brakes, and there is no lag/loss whatsoever. at least not to the naked eye.
  • Thanks for that. Been looking at compressionless cable outers and have since donated a length of compressionless outer which seems to be doing the job satisfactorily for now. Will keep the goodridge in mind.