Bontrager Hub on Rhythm Comp Rear - Replace free hub body

nels
nels Posts: 250
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Bontrager Rhythm Comp rear wheel off 2010 Trek Fuel EX8

I need to replace the free hub body... i have a number of cone wrenches (15-18mm - may need 19mm too ??) but need some advise on how to remove axle in order to remove and replace the free hub.

All advise welcomed as its becoming frustrating now.

TIA
Nels
Nels

Trek Fuel EX9
Giant Defy1
Rockhopper SL Expert

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    undo the undoing bits and then remove the axle or bearings.

is it cone and cup or ?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Remove cassette first, then axle, not sure if you need a 10/11mm allen key or specific tool to get the body off or whether its a 'pull of' design....post pics up once the cassette/axle are removed.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    nicklouse wrote:

is it cone and cup or ?

Official spec lists this as the rear hub. Servicing mine (along with checking the pivot bearings) is next on my list of jobs...
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

is it cone and cup or ?

Official spec lists this as the rear hub. Servicing mine (along with checking the pivot bearings) is next on my list of jobs...

Thats a shimano deore hub :?

pretty sure its not shimano.
  • nels
    its a bonty freehub which i all ready have purchased... 11mm allen to remove, but its the axle i dont know how to get off.. 2 bolts on each end of axle but a cone at one end which i think is 19mm - does the cone need to be removed too?
    Nels

Trek Fuel EX9
    Giant Defy1
    Rockhopper SL Expert
  • D-Cyph3r
    gonga wrote:
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

is it cone and cup or ?

Thats a shimano deore hub :?

pretty sure its not shimano.

Plenty of bikes use budget Shimano hubs under a different name. The model number was taken straight from Trek's site and having one (an EX8) I can tell you it looks pretty much exactly like the exploded drawing.
  • They are a full copy if a bit cheaper of the DT Swiss 240 X12, they used to be made bt DT Swiss untill 2 years ago when they got an in house far east company to produce them.

They should be cartridge style bearings, mine are as I only swapped them for ceramic ones last month. The axel comes out by

http://www.dtswiss.com/getdoc/99a9c909- ... sheet.aspx
  • D-Cyph3r
    They definately aint cartridge bearing DT knock offs, as I say the one on my bike (which I had in pieces this morning as I was changing my cassette) looks exactly like the Deore hub in the tech doc I posted.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My own Rhythms have a Formula hub, just to complicate matters- cosmetically very similiar to that Deore. I'd have assumed it was shimano but it's identical to the formula in my cheapo wheels.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The last Bonty Rhythm hub I saw was a rebranded DT Swiss Onyx hub
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • D-Cyph3r
    Haha, so basically Trek chuck in whatever they've got laying around? :lol:
  • nels
    Well i have asked trek customer support to clarify. so we'll see. one thing i do know that mine, which is an early 2010 isnt Shimano Deore or DT Swiss....

I'll advise when i know
    Nels

Trek Fuel EX9
    Giant Defy1
    Rockhopper SL Expert
  • D-Cyph3r
    I'm interested in what they have to say, as I say hubs are pretty much next on my list of jobs so it'd be nice to know if the spec list is right (with the M525) or if it really is a case of "could be anything".
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    According to the Trek dealer site your hub looks like this

explodedhub.png

It's a Trek own branded hub, not a Shimano or DT hub. Hope this helps
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Trek don't manufacture their own hubs, so it has to be Shimano, Formula, DT or another hub manufacturer that Trek use to make hubs for them.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • RevellRider
    I'm aware of that, but D-Cyph3r was saying it is a Shimano hub. It also isn't a DT 240 hub as the freehub is different. Trek have used both of these manufacturers previous in their wheelsets with the hubs branded up. The hub is a Formula if I remember correctly, made to the specification of Trek with Bontrager logos on it. Therefore it is a Trek branded hub.

None of this is really relevant though as the OP is asking how to strip the hub down
  • D-Cyph3r
    Hopefully Nels will get a definite answer from Trek themselves soon. I'll know for sure which mine is next weekend when I take it apart, though I still maintain mine looks like a bog standard cup and cone deore. :)
  • My Rythm Pro's from my 2010 Remedy is definately a DT swiss 240 re branded, I went down the bearing route before christmas and a quick call to a Trek UK Tech and Sales guy (by my LBS) confirmed that the ones I have are DT swiss 240's so buy the bearing kits to fit them??

As previously stated it seems to be whatever is lying around at the time of shipping will do!!!!
  • RevellRider
    Aaron, you have Rhythm Pro, where as the OP has Rhythm Comp :P
  • nels
    That wheel uses the Shimano M525SL according to Trek... my LBS did send me schematic and instructions. Will be attempting this weekend.

thanks to East Street Cycles Farnham.

regards
    Nels

Can share PDF and instructions if required.
    Nels

Trek Fuel EX9
    Giant Defy1
    Rockhopper SL Expert
  • nels
    Remove the cassette from the wheel. Remove the drive side outer nut (15mm). Remove the non drive side cones (15mm & 19mm) & spacers and lay to one side in order, this helps to put them back in in the correct order. Remove the drive side spacer and cone, these should come off by unscrewing them with your fingers. You can then tap the drive side end of the exposed axle (use a soft mallet or hammer with a block of wood to protect the axle end) which will drive out the axle and non drive side bearing. Make a note of which way the axle fits into the wheel, one threaded end will be longer than the other.Use an 11mm allen key down the middle of the freehub body to undo the retaining bolt, it unscrews anti-clockwise. This bolt is done up tight, you made need to use a spanner on the end of the allen key to get enough leverage.

Fit the new freehub body and tighten the bolt securely, once tight spin the freehub body and make sure it is turning freely and smoothly. Slide the axle back in (the correct way round) and tap the non drive side bearing back into the hub. Only tap the bearing on it's outer edge to avoid damaging it. Refit all the cones and locknuts in the correct order and tighten down the lock nuts against the cones until everything is snug but the axle turns smoothly.

Pop the wheel back in the bike, do the skewer up and check there is no side to side play and the wheel turns smoothly with no dragging. Adjust the cones if required. Refit the cassette and go ride.

Use with caution as i am no mechanisc asnd this has been provided by external source
    Nels

Trek Fuel EX9
    Giant Defy1
    Rockhopper SL Expert
  • D-Cyph3r
    Sounds simple enough....

And I know it's immature, but HAH! I was right. :P
  • nels
    the mystery continues according to my LBS trek dealer;

'As far as we know the hub is branded Bontrager and manufactured by a company called Formula'

thanks for all input/comments but i'm just gonna try and fix it now
    Nels

Trek Fuel EX9
    Giant Defy1
    Rockhopper SL Expert
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    Sounds simple enough....

And I know it's immature, but HAH! I was right. :P

I asked in my local trek dealers last year for information on the hubs and bearings and they told me my ex8 had rebranded formula hubs.

that pic you uploaded seemed to show lose bearings not cartridge bearings that my ex8 had.so thats why it seemed well off.

so HAH..... at least my bike doesn't have shimano hubs! :lol:
  • ricardo666
    ricardo666 Posts: 132
    Just want to say thanks to revell rider for the technical drawing

My rear wheel from my trek ex8 2008 has been lying dormant for several weeks maybe a couple of months after taking it to bits, and trying several goes at putting it back together and failing miserably.

If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials
  • eddyesi
    eddyesi Posts: 198
    Any idea what freehub and bearings a 2010 rhythm elite rear uses, or the 15mm front for that matter
  • eddyesi
    eddyesi Posts: 198
    eddyesi wrote:
    Any idea what freehub and bearings a 2010 rhythm elite rear uses, or the 15mm front for that matter

Just in case it helps

2010 Bontrager rhythm elite
    15/20mm fronts
    6805 2RS
    remove disc, caps just pull off, then knock out one side with the through axle, remove bearing then use axle to knock out other side

9mm QR rears
    6000 2RS non drive side
    16100 2RS in shimano freehub body
    6900 2RS drive side (under/behind freehub)

remove cassette and drive side lock nut 17mm and spacer cap, hit axle to knock out non drive side bearing. freehub just pulls off (gently, watch you dont take freehub support needle roller bearings with it), and can tap out its bearing from the inside once circlip is removed. Drive side bearing i tapped out with the axle through the hub.