Axle Spacing

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi Guys,

Im trying to set up my rear brakes having stripped and refited all the cables but have hit a major problem. It seems that my wheel is about 15-20mm 'pushed' towards the non cassette side of the frame which means it is impossible to fit my brakes without them rubbing. The Wheelset was new about a month ago (Shimano AS20) and I reckon I need to change something on the axle to get it to fit properly.

Help would be really welcome as the bike is currently in pieces in the kitchen and Mrs W is on the war path.

W

Comments

• Hi there, a couple of things. Are you sure the wheel is properly seated. I've, erm, heard of people who haven't managed to get the wheel quite in, and it seems as though the wheel is skewed to one side. You may also find that, if you have a quick release, making sure the wheel is tightly secured may help.

Other than that, it could actually be that the dishing on the wheel is really badly off, I would hope that it couldn't be *that* far off on a new wheel, but you never know.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Um, I have heard of those people who haven't got the wheel quite in as well. :oops: seems the brakes are working much better now.