Luis Leon undergoes an operación?

Bakunin
Bakunin Posts: 868
edited January 2011 in Pro race

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Who knows. The press previously fingered him when it was really the late Alberto Leon. Who knows how accurate this info is.

Sadly the cycling community are very keen, nowadays, to accuse on any basis.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He's mentioned in the Puerto paperwork from Fuentes (I know he's too darn handsome to be doping) and I as recall, it was also reported they had phone taps of him discussing things.

He's a child of Saiz, what do we expect really.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He races his bike aggressively and stylishly.

1ae8609e99345e46a9fd6fdfb9b0b6da-ge.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    So that makes it okay to cheat in his 'preparation'?

@Rich - I think the cycling community is quick to accuse because, invariably when these type of stories surface, the truth is revealed to show another doping ring implicating yet more riders.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    The ultimate kiss of death, FF is a fan. :?
  • frenchfighter
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sanchez ... th-fuentes

The amount of fuel required to try and roast a pro from some people is so small you couldn't even cook a pea with it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sanchez-denies-contact-with-fuentes

The amount of fuel required to try and roast a pro from some people is so small you couldn't even cook a pea with it.

Frenchie -- like you, I was an admirer of Valverde, Contador, and Luis Leon. Yes, they are stylish/good and all that. But were they simply too good to be true (I'm talking AV and AC here)?

Just a quick question (and I don't know the answer) -- but has there ever been a case of a real false positive. That is, has a cyclist ever been banned where it was shown that he/she was actually innocent? Valverde who is more wealthy than us (or at least me) couldn't move people that he didn't cheat -- he couldn't make the case that those blood bags were not his. And, I know all that about the difficulty in proving a negative, etc. But...

Yes, a lot of peas have been cooked...but give me an example in which evidence was shown that someone had been wrongly "cooked." The UCI is a joke, but is there a case in which A and B samples were dirty, but the rider was actually proved innocent after the fact?

LL may be a victim of guilt by association (and with Saiz's reputation, it is hard to think otherwise). Contador may have eaten a dirty steak. Valverde's dog may not have been named pitti -- but prove it, don't just say it.

Sad to say, but in cycling where there is smoke, there is often fire. In this sport, words really are cheap.
  • frenchfighter
    Bakunin wrote:
    Yes, a lot of peas have been cooked...but give me an example in which evidence was shown that someone had been wrongly "cooked." The UCI is a joke, but is there a case in which A and B samples were dirty, but the rider was actually proved innocent after the fact?

Pereiro.

I see where you are coming from and there is some merit in your points. I am just saying that aspersions are too readily cast on such minor 'evidence'
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    What's the likelihood a Spanish rider dabbling with banned substances and/or methods? On recent evidence, high.

It must be bad when the Guardia Civil are the ones doing the investigating, don't they know they are meant to ask no questions?
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    To quote "You didn't show a lick of sympathy to a man that was down on his knees.....who needs enemies (with family like you)"
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Judging by this thread we can see he's struggling to get support. The trouble is that a Spanish rider who does well suddenly gets question marks, denials are only met with the "well he would say that, wouldn't he" line.

Given the death of Alberto Leon this is getting increasingly serious. Not for L-L but If any rider, athlete or other sportsman/women is involved, I hope they realise that denying is a very high risk strategy, especially if they are linked by phone intercept.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Bakunin wrote:

Pereiro.

I see where you are coming from and there is some merit in your points. I am just saying that aspersions are too readily cast on such minor 'evidence'

When was Pereiro banned?

I recall the case of a minor French rider banned in about 2001 and retrospectively cleared, but that was for a borderline stimulant thing IIRC.

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    Banned irrelevant. I am talking about accusations then an immediate 'he's guilty' attitude.
    Contador is the Greatest