135mm spaced fixed wheels - does anywhere sell them?

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Type 135mm fixed hub into google and there's loads available. Try to find a complete wheel and there's absolutely nothing. I don't get it. Is there some rule that says you can only have a 135mm fixed wheel if you know how to build it yourself :?:

I tried a 120mm wheel as they're easy to get but it was impossible to get the chain line right.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a front wheel with an XT disc front hub fitted and get a conversion kit and cog from Velosolo. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pastryboy
    I should have mentioned I need a 700c wheel...

Still looking, SJS build fixed wheels by the look of it but don't have any 135mm hubs.

I'm lost as to why no one sells these if there's a market for the hubs and bikes are being made using this spacing.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    buy the 4th one down here and then get your lbs to build it to a 700c rim.
  • ride_whenever
    What frame is it btw? I'd be really surprised if there was a 135mm spaced bike designed for fixed gear, single speed possibly but not fixed.
  • try goldtec, i had a quick look they sell 135 hubs and they will build u up a wheel if you ask them

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/index.asp
  • pastryboy
    I spoke to my LBS about rebuilding a wheel I was having problems with - he doesn't do that sort of thing as it's not worth his time apparently.
    What frame is it btw? I'd be really surprised if there was a 135mm spaced bike designed for fixed gear, single speed possibly but not fixed.

It's a Genesis day one - flip flop hub.

It did occur to me I could move the chain ring to the inside of the spider which (with the spacers I have) might get around the chain line problem on narrower wheels but I wasn't sure if that's advisable?

I will have a look at the Goldtec site - thanks
  • nicklouse

mine is :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ride_whenever
    Yes nic, but you're insane...

To the OP, find a better lbs or do it yourself. Building wheels doesn't take long if you do it regularly, hell, you could even build your own wheel...
  • nicklouse
    img0779ml.jpg

built onto 700c rims :P
  • ride_whenever
    how is that tensioned?

Or are you planning on playing with ratios and a 1/2 link?
  • pastryboy

you could even build your own wheel...

I could, and I'd probably die horribly on my first outing. My commute is far too long to risk getting stuck part way.
  • ride_whenever
    PM me and I'll build you one up, and sort you a price on parts...
  • nicklouse
    how is that tensioned?

Or are you planning on playing with ratios and a 1/2 link?

has tugs.

img0199g.jpg
    was a geared hub frame.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I had the same problem, settled on buying a 135mm jump hub which is actually SS but has a disc brake. You then buy a bolt on cog from Velosolo and bolt it onto the disc brake mounting. I then got it built up locally (a guy on LFGSS) with a Mavic CXP22 rim and it's sweet, chainline is good and no dishing required.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    get some spacers, and just add them under the lock nut(last nut) on each side of the hud. Job done.

it's what I did to fit my fixie wheels on my cotic rather than flexing the frame.

I think velosolo sold them, though it's pricier than just buying washers but it is more accurate.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    135mm Pompinos exist. ;)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    OK, did this ever get resolved as I need a rear wheel with 36 or 48 spokes. No not buying something with spacers before anyone asks.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • nicklouse
    buy a surly Fixxer then http://surlybikes.com/parts/fixxer/
  • symo
    Looking for a more complete hub+rim solution than that.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • nicklouse
    talk to your friendly wheel builder.

IIRC there are no 135old fixed hubs other than the kits from Velosolo or mod like i did to a 20mm front hub.

if you find one post it up.
  • symo
    From teh interwebs it looks like it will be a surly hub and take them to the local wheelbuilder for a build :(
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• symo
    http://www.outspokencycles.co.uk/

Seem to have an ability to source, dropped them an email. Anyone ever heard of them?
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• nicklouse
    personally I would drop billys.co.uk a line or call as the are the main retail outlet for the importers of Surly (and Halo etc) Owned by the same people.
  • pastryboy
    Hello

I ended up getting a wheel built for me at SJS Cycles following an email exchange to confirm they could offer what I wanted (they were initially confused by my request as they didn't think I really wanted 135mm). It was a fixed/fixed Surly hub onto a Halo Aero Warrior rim - 48 spoke. Cost me £126.

That was over a year ago now. Wheel has performed perfectly up until wear and tear has recently started affecting it.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    talk to your friendly wheel builder.

IIRC there are no 135old fixed hubs other than the kits from Velosolo or mod like i did to a 20mm front hub.

if you find one post it up.

Found one:

http://www.justridingalong.com/wheel-pa ... r-hub.html

Got disk mounts too :)

http://www.paulcomp.com/fixeddisk.html