where to mount your video camera?

specialized hardrock
edited January 2011 in MTB general
i have just purchased a veho muvi cam pro for £35 :lol:http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_detail ... rticle=117

looking for ideas where to mount the camera?

anyone got any ideas?
carrera vengeance ultimate 11
specialized hardrock sport pro 05
commencal combi disc 08
trek 3900 04

Comments

• Not got a camera yet, but looking at the playbacks I've seen, I have to say helmet mount would be my first choice just to see how it works
    Later I'd try mounting on the forks, bars and then frame.

Edit: Where did you get it at that price? RRP is usually £45+
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    i have a very similar camera to that (actually the same camera but no branding) - i mount mine to the front of the headtube as I'm not sure the sensors are really quick enough for helmet mounting without a fair bit of 'flutter' on the footage.

Headtube mounting gives you this view - http://vimeo.com/14560802

slainte :D rob
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Helmet's the default option, it works but it tends to give fairly dull floaty footage.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    helmet, or if you have a backpack with a chest strap, mounting it there is also a good option :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not got a camera yet, but looking at the playbacks I've seen, I have to say helmet mount would be my first choice just to see how it works
    Later I'd try mounting on the forks, bars and then frame.

Edit: Where did you get it at that price? RRP is usually £45+

Unbranded but the same cameras are about £10 on Ebay, posted.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • i got mine for £35 posted for the muvi cam pro that i purchased off of ebay brand new im going to try it out today as i have just received this item i will post some videos up to let u see the video quality
    carrera vengeance ultimate 11
    specialized hardrock sport pro 05
    commencal combi disc 08
    trek 3900 04
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    For the love of god don't mount it to the headtube.
  • phz
    why? works fine for me

slainte :? rob
  • bennett_346
    pHz wrote:
    why? works fine for me

slainte :? rob
    The video made me physically nauseus after a minute of watching and gave a terrible view of the trail. Helmet much better.
  • phz
    heehee - fair enough - horses for courses

i actually have the same issue with a lot of footage from 'slow' video cameras when they are helmet mounted - bike movement + head movement = 'compound' movements causing the image to flutter which i find difficult to watch

slainte :) rob
  • i have one mounted on the helmet. one on the top of the fork stantion, one on the foot of the lhs fork where the brake is and one on the frame looking through the forks.

i find the muvi to be too prone to bounce around on any supplied mounts.
  • bennett_346
    pHz wrote:
    heehee - fair enough - horses for courses

i actually have the same issue with a lot of footage from 'slow' video cameras when they are helmet mounted - bike movement + head movement = 'compound' movements causing the image to flutter which i find difficult to watch

slainte :) rob
    Not really sure what you mean by this, but certainly when i record footage from my helmet cam the video doesnt tilt 45 degrees on every successive berm left and right, emulating the effects of being drunk on a shuggy boat.

But as you say each to their own :)
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    If you mount on the helmet...where exactly for the best production/view? I have purchased the same-ish camera (not yet arrived) and it looks like it would be a bit of a fiddle to get it fitted to the helmet.
  • Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    helmet, but avoid the typical angle where you only see 2m in front of the bike because that just sucks.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Depends on how you ride, i dont mount any camera on my helmet as I ride like Stevie Wonder plays piano, swaying back and forth, best thing is just go on a little but all conditions ride and try different places to mount it, facing front or rear and check out what looks best
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    i have just purchased a veho muvi cam pro for £35 :lol:http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_detail ... rticle=117

looking for ideas where to mount the camera?

anyone got any ideas?

Ride your favourite trail with the camera in different positions, and compare.

It all depends how exciting you want the footage to look.

Helmet mount gives the best view of the trail, and depending on the rider, gives a smoother image as you naturally absorb shock with your body. Because you instinctively tilt your head opposite to the camber of a bend, there's not as much sense of turning. So it's not the most exciting.

The lower you mount the camera, the greater the sense of speed. And if it's fixed to the frame, like the headtube, the bike leans with the corners. Low down isn't ideal in wet conditions due to potential risk of mud splatter on lens.

Some people say the latter makes them nausious when watching - well yeah, that's the whole point of making it look exciting. If you want that of course.

Don't mount to the handlebars, the image will be swaying left and right all over the place, though mainly on uphill bits.

I've been trying all positions for 7 years now and have settled on headtube mounting as it gives me the freedom to move my head anywhere, look down at my gears, turn round and shout to my mates, clear snot out my nose, whatever - it won't affect footage.
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    pHz wrote:
    i have a very similar camera to that (actually the same camera but no branding) - i mount mine to the front of the headtube as I'm not sure the sensors are really quick enough for helmet mounting without a fair bit of 'flutter' on the footage.

Headtube mounting gives you this view - http://vimeo.com/14560802

slainte :D rob

I rode this a month before, got sent away for a week adventure training, good trail even though i was ordered to keep both wheels on the ground... though got abit of cheeky air when sgt wasn't looking haha.

Not too far away from Leuchars, which is where i hope to be posted in March.

Edit: Although the camera doesn't give the speed or size of the route justice