Drying shorts overnight

wheezee
wheezee Posts: 461
edited February 2011 in Tour & expedition
Practically speaking... If you're taking two pairs of padded bib-shorts on a tour, and you don't have the benefit of a spin-dryer, how d'you get them dry quickly enough to wear every other day?

I just hand washed a pair in the sink, and squeezed the water out best I could, but they look like they're going to drip for days...

Comments

• Once washed roll them in a towel and wring said towel, then hang shorts up to finish drying. Probably dry in a few hours that way
  • xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    Take 2 bib shorts - if that's an option? they should roll up small, not take much room
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    They'll probably still be a bit damp when you put them on - but you won't die.
  • wheezee
    Ah, right. My GF suggested folding them in a towel and standing on it, but that didn't really convince me. She was sort of right. But she doesn't get the points.

So anyway, I now have this wet towel... :P

And I will die, though not necessarily of damp pants.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Get one of the super-water-absorbing towels used for drying off cars and do the roll up in the towel method mentioned above. You can cut the towel down to whatever size that works for you and they dry fairly fast although it's not necessary for it to be completely dry to absorb plenty of water from your bibs. Just wring it out and pack wet if needed. These are also great for drying yourself after a shower, drying off pots and pans, etc. and can be used as a moist wipe to freshen up with when mingling with the locals after your ride up the Alps in 30deg. heat.
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    Day 1 - wear bibtights A and wash them in the evening. Wring them out in a towel to remove as much water as possible. Hang to dry.

Day 2 - wear bibtights B. Dry Bibtights A through the day whenever you stop or tie them onto your rack for a bit of a blow. In the evening, wash bibtights B and do the towel routine.

Day 3. Bibtights A have now had around 40 hours to dry. Whatever dampness is left won't kill you (you are using chamois cream - aren't you???) In the evening, wash bibtights A

etc

etc

etc
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you find that they are still bit damp the evening before wearing, you can put them inside your sleeping bag.
    I take a mesh bag for drying stuff outside the pannier bags.
    In rainy conditions, nothing dries well.
    Hot air hand-driers can be used to dry stuff.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    wheezee wrote:
    Practically speaking... If you're taking two pairs of padded bib-shorts on a tour, and you don't have the benefit of a spin-dryer, how d'you get them dry quickly enough to wear every other day?

I just hand washed a pair in the sink, and squeezed the water out best I could, but they look like they're going to drip for days...

Where are you going on tour, somewhere cold and miserable? Lycra will dry easily in 10 minutes if it's hot and the pad within an hour.

Have you ever washed your bike clothing before because if you had you would know how long it takes to dry and wouldn't be asking the question or does your GF wash your kit for you? You have a very generous GF or Mum :roll: .

Anyway a proper cyclist on tour changes shirt and shorts weekly :wink:.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • wheezee
    My question was about getting the drying started without a spin-dryer.

I do have a mangle, which doesn't need mains power, but the washing machine stays at home.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Hey that's an idea. A rack-mounted mangle. You could gear it to the chain (hugely geared down of course) and gradually squeeze your shorts through over the course of 60-miles or so.

And, can you imagine how awful death-by-damp-pants would be? My god.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    dilemna wrote:
    wheezee wrote:
    Anyway a proper cyclist on tour changes shirt and shorts weekly :wink:.

surely you mean weakly? :oops:
  • I don't wring clothes as it knackers the fabric, and towels are too bulky to carry. Synthetic fabrics like Lycra are non absorbent, so the bottom quickly becomes waterlogged once they're hung vertically. Having squeezed them and hung them up, the trick is to keep squeezing the water out each time it drains to the bottom. If you repeat every 10 mins or so until you can't get any more out, they'll usually dry by morning. If you're in an enclosed space, mop up the puddle on the floor so that it won't contribute to the humidity in the air and slow the drying process.
  • Linds
    Linds Posts: 20
    On my one credit card/YHA tour I used a travel towel and would roll my shorts in the towel, stand on one end and twist the towel hard.

This would get rid of most of the water and I would then let them both dry out overnight.

Jobs a carrot
  • i must confess that i would wear a pair of shorts for about a week before changing them. one thing that was suggested to me was if you have accomodation sorted for along the route, you can send a pair of shorts to that location, once you get there you have a nice clean pair and can send the dirty ones home and not worry about carrying them around
  • wheezee wrote:

Chances are, if you're doing a long tour you'll be feeling rather lethargic getting back in the saddle - particularly towards the end of the tour. Once you settle in after about 30 mins you'll be back to normal and bright as a button. By that point, you won't even notice your semi-festering bibshorts as they'll be either be dry or there'll be much more annoying things going on (such as trying not to get that bl**dy energy gel over your fingers and handlebars or that kn*b who never points potholes out). It's just that initial few minutes putting on wet gear that's unpleasant.
  • Don't get them dirty! I found some very thin tight fitting lycra briefs in Spain which usually dry really quickly and I take 3 pairs of those on a trip. I just change them every day so it doesn't matter if a pair doesn't dry overnight. I know that you are not supposed to wear anything under your shorts but I find that uncomfortable so i wear the briefs to keep all in its place. Wearing them inside out stops chafing by the seams.