Single-speed with 27 gears?

Miggins
Miggins Posts: 433
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Which gear combination should I use to match the same gearing as a single-speed set up? I've got 27 gears (3 x 9). Would the middle ring and one of the middle gears on the rear be best to match the average single-speed gearing? I'd like to try single-speed without having to go single-speed. If you catch my drift...
After uphill there's downhill

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    On a 26" wheeled MTB a good start point is a 2:1 ratio

ie 32t chainring 16t cog.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Miggins
    Thanks Andy, I'll give it a go.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    On One are selling a 16t ring and spacer kit for £2.99 and £2.50 postage if you like Singespeeding, It's nicely made, and looks good.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Miggins
    thel33ter wrote:
    On One are selling a 16t ring and spacer kit for £2.99 and £2.50 postage if you like Singespeeding, It's nicely made, and looks good.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep it in mind. Not sure I'll go the whole hog just yet; it's pretty hilly on the majority of trails locally.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Using one gear is not the same as singlespeeding. You don't get the weight loss through not having mechs etc. It also just feels different.

velosolo is a good shop for supplies. Superstarcomponents has some nice and cheap tensioners. You could probably get singlespeeded for £60
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    It's worth trying though, I did it before going full singlespeed. Just gives you an idea. Takes a lot of willpower not to change gear though. I would agree, it doesn't feel the same as proper ss though.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Single speed is more responsive as you haven't got the slack in the chain. I bought the DMR conversion kit about a year ago for £30 but have only recently converted. Wished I had done it years ago - it makes my mid week ride a better workout & is more fun IMHO.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10009
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • Miggins
    Thanks all. I had thought that it wouldn't be the same as real single-speeding; I'd just like to try a gearing ratio that resembles it somewhat, to give me a rough idea of what it's all about. Might have to gaffer tape my gear shifters up to avoid temptation/force of habit, though!
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I think the point might be is you can chose whatever gear you want. Go through all 27 then work out which one is the nicest. Then stick with that one gear for a month.

if you like it, go SS in that ratio.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Miggins
    cavegiant wrote:
    Go through all 27 then work out which one is the nicest. Then stick with that one gear for a month.

Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks Cavegiant.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Miggins wrote:
    Which gear combination should I use to match the same gearing as a single-speed set up? I've got 27 gears (3 x 9). Would the middle ring and one of the middle gears on the rear be best to match the average single-speed gearing? I'd like to try single-speed without having to go single-speed. If you catch my drift...
    The good thing about having 27 gears, is that unlike prehistoric one-speed bikes (or BMX bikes), you can have a whole variance of gears.
    Choose the gear that's best for what you ride on.