where is the forum

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited January 2011 in Pro race
on race radio use? am not surprised JV and JB are pro radio, cause a ban means many hours of being what they really are-car drivers

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Well this thread covered race radio, as well as other tech stuff:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... technology

Personally I'm not keen on radios, it puts too much power in the hands of the DS, I'd prefer to see riders making their own decisions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Andy Schleck recently tweeted that because 18 out of 20 teams wanted radios there wasn't any further need for discussion on the subject.

I reckon he's missing the point just a touch.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm largely non-committal on the matter. I don't think that they make as much difference to tactics as some make out. Every time I see those in-car shots, the DS never seems to say much of interest. They do mean that problems such as mechanicals can be addressed quicker.

I have no problem with someone calling the tactical shots. It happens in every other team sport.

What I would like to see is what Rabobank are proposing to do this season - namely, making their radio communications available to TV broadcasters (I think they're just giving it to Dutch TV sadly).

I also wouldn't dismiss DSs as mere 'car-drivers' either. Were Cyrille Guimard, Roger Legeay, Peter Post etc, just drivers?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm with Rich - I don't think it makes much difference. Would the strade bianchi in the Giro last year have been better sans radio?

Ok, so riders don't have to read the other riders signals etc, but it's not better or worse, it's just different.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I'm in favour of them staying, but I too would like to see more of the discussions broadcast al la Formula 1. I'd also like to see more rider info available such as cadence watts etc 8)
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Tom BB wrote:
    I'd also like to see more rider info available such as cadence watts blood volume, hct etc 8)

More seriously I can't see radios being banned but I wish some riders would be half as vocal on doping as they are on radios.