Clipless pedals

GordonH
GordonH Posts: 58
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
I am going to go clipless and have been looking at the Shimano 6700 Ultegra SPD-SL road pedals and also the 6620's. I have been put off the Look pedals because a lot of the reviews mention that they are prone to cracking due to being made out of plastic.
Has anyone got any preferences or suggestions for alternatives? :?:

Comments

• Never heard if any problems with Look pedals cracking. Shimano SPD-SL are great pedals and the cleats are good too with an anti-slip coating on the corners to prevent cafe skids!

Have heard the new Time had problems with the cleats breaking but should have been sorted by now.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I've been using Time for years with no cleat problems. My current RXS Carbon pedals are still going strong 6yrs on.
  • RC856 wrote:
    I've been using Time for years with no cleat problems. My current RXS Carbon pedals are still going strong 6yrs on.

Time recently introduced a new model to the market and had problems with the rear parts of the cleats breaking. I don't think that had any effect on pedals that people have had for years though so you have no need to worry. :wink:
  • Started using Time when the clipless pedal was invented, have used Time since without hint of a problem.
  • Started using Time when the clipless pedal was invented, have used Time since without hint of a problem.

The clipless pedal was invented in the late 1800s, Time were invented in the late 80s so this is an impossibility.
  • The modern clipless pedal was developed by French companies Look and Time in the 1980s using technology from the ski industry.
  • The modern clipless pedal was developed by French companies Look and Time in the 1980s using technology from the ski industry.

Cinelli made the first one (1973), then Look in 1985, Adidas 1987? then Time in 1988 - the same man designed Look and Time (Jean Beyel). Still impossible to have been using Time since the modern clipless pedal was developed as it wasn't around then.
  • Okay, if you want to split hairs, the Cinelli one was different to the modern clipless pedal that was developed in the 80s. The clipless pedals we use today are all takes on the 1980s Look/Time models and where the technology was taken from the ski industry.
  • Just being pedantic. Include speedplay as they were developed in 1990. The cinelli wasn't that different, just the release mechanism. My point was that you can't have been riding TIme pedals modern clipless pedals were introduced because there were modern clipless pedals around before Time were introduced.