Bike friendly hotels/B&Bs in INverness

dgstewart
dgstewart Posts: 252
edited January 2011 in Tour & expedition
Does anyone know of any decent bike-friendly accomodation in Inverness? Planning on staying 3 or 4 nights there in the summer with my brother, using it as a base for a few days of good long rides.

Currently thinking of the Premier Inn as they are reasonably cheap and I think I have seen other people comment that they have taken bikes into their rooms there without any problems. Don't mind spending more money for somewhere nice (i.e. pool, sauna, etc) for some chill out afterwards.

Would also consider B&Bs if they are flexible enough about arrival/eating times etc.

Would prefer to be reasonably close to town centre (2 miles or so max) so we can have some good evening food/beers options.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Hmm - don't know anybody that's stayed at the Premier Inn - I don't think the locations is that great.

Do you know which direction you are likely to be headed on your long rides? If you want to go west (great Glen etc) you also want to be on the other side of town ideally as crossing town at the beginning or end of a ride would be a bit frustrating.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dgstewart
    When you say not great locations do you mean in terms of starting a ride from there, or actually that the hotels are in dodgy areas?

For our rides, I haven't decided definitely yet but my initial thoughts are:

1) East through Culloden, Cawdor and up through Clunas direction. I did part of this from Auldearn last year and it was a cracking ride through some forest roads. Would easily make a 60 miler or more.

2) South for a ride on the East side of Loch Ness. Stayed at Foyers two years ago so I know some of the roads around there. Any distance up to 100 miles or so depending on how far south you went (maybe right down over the hill to Fort Augustus).

3) Weather permitting, drive out to Kinlochewe and do the Bealach Mor route.

If we were heading North/West we can just drive out to a good start point, so not too concerned with that. Also I don't mind riding through town at the start/end as it's a bit of a warm up/down.
  • meanredspider
    Not bad areas - Inverness, compared to any other city in the country, doesn't really have any properly dodgy areas. No, more the fact that they are designed for car travellers so are out of town and on the busy (dual) roads.

The Beechwood one is right opposite where I work (and commute to). It's actually not bad for the routes you describe as you are a more-or-less on the Culloden road and a ride around the Distributor road will bring you to the Dores road which is the East (South) side of Loch Ness. If you're out that way a stop at the Dores Inn http://www.thedoresinn.co.uk/ for a pint is well worth it - fantastic view of the loch (I think it has featured in various Nessie movies). Here's (at the bottom - Img tags not working?) a pic I took on my mobile phone a few years ago

The Travelodge on the Distributor Road might work quite well for you too (assuming they don't worry about bikes in rooms - can't imagine they do). None are good for getting into town and the Travelodge is poor from a food point of view.

lochness1.jpg
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dgstewart
    I don't mind a decent walk into town (good to loosen the legs off!) and can always jump in a taxi if its raining! Maybe the MiIlburn Road one is best though as it's a bit closer than the Beechwood one.

Any recommendations for good food - maybe Indian, Italian, Mexican, steaks, or anything else you'd recommend?
  • meanredspider
    Yup - possibly though the Milburn road one is in a very odd place and looks (from the outside at least) far more run down. It would be an easier walk into town but not a great place to start your rides from. It probably makes no difference but I'd probably stay at the Beechwood.

Food - Inverness is actually well-served for food. My favourite is the Rocpool Rendezvous (there's also a Rocpool reserve for the gourmet). Nice an intimate but fantastic "European" cooking with a local touch - I go there quite often on business but it's where I spend my own money. Around 30 a head I guess (there'll be a menu on-line). Great steaks.

For Indian (and if you're staying at Milburn in particular) the Cinnamon is fine. Sam's is good or The Shapla for a good view of the river. None will be the best you've ever had but you probably won't be disappointed either. My Indian colleages prefer Sam's.

For posh bistro - Contrast.

Forgotten the name of the Italian place but it's a couple of doors down from Rocpool Rendezvous. Ah remembered - Riva (there's a pizza place upstairs but I've not been)

Other places that I like (mid-range bistro) are Mustard Seed, Cafe 1 & the Kitchen.

Inverness is poorly-served for Oriental - I can't think of anywhere I'd recommend. Same goes for Mexican.

You should be able to find all of these menus on-line. The Dores Inn does good food.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Stayed at Hornbeam a few years back.
    Not en-suite think we were 20 quid each in their twin.
    Excellent cooked breakfast
    Don't know if they are still running though
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Hi - in reply to an enquiry about bike-friendly accommodation, a company called Highland Apartments have some apartments in the centre of Inverness, overlooking the river (and above Zizzis restaurant and Johnny Foxes pub, across the river from Rocpool Restaurant) - you couldn't get more central. All apartments have free private underground parking WITH BIKE STANDS! You couldn't be more secure.
    Prices are high-ish, with 1-bedroom apartments at around £45 per person but you can share a 2-bed apartment for 4 people at around £35 per person. Need to stay 2 nights or more but a fabulous location for biking in the highlands of Scotland!
  • dgstewart
    Thanks for replies so far. The apartments look nice, but they're a little bit pricy compared to a hotel or good B&B. Don't get me wrong, I really like self catering holidays but for this trip I think it might be a little much hassle to be completely self reliant for just two people for 4 days or so.

I'm thinking of the Best Western Palace hotel as they are doing a decent deal just now, and I'm hugely swayed by the pool/sauna/spa for some chill out and recovery after the rides! Good location too.

Anyone any thoughts on this place? It gets some mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, mainly good but a few poor ones thrown in just to make you wonder.
  • Hi DG,

Try Torguish House, they're about 4 miles south of Inverness (near Culloden) but there's a nice cafe in walking distance, or the owners will give you a lift into town for your evening meal. They've got a bike shed, drying area, etc. It's also really, really nice! Went there with our tandem recently. No pool or sauna, but nice gardens and a log fire to chill out by. www.torguish.com

Enjoy!

L.