Damn fine wine without breaking the bank thread

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Let's put a ceiling of £15 per bottle?

I nominate Steakhouse Red by the Magnificent Wine Company at around £10 as a starter
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Prestige De Calvet (Bordeaux), albeit a fairly mass produced wine, is 2 for a tenner in Sainsburys at the mo. Very good value if you're looking in the £5 range.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Oyster Bay Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Less than £10. :D
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    2003 clos d'Yvingne, le petit prince £6.99 at Booths
    FCN: 6
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Recently got a bargain case of Tenuta San Guido Guidalberto 2006 for less than £15 a bottle. Not usually a drinker of italian wine and I don't know much about it, but this is lovely.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    I'm still trying to work out where the Magnificent Wine Company is... :oops:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My neighbours run a ski school in France and the best man at my wedding was (and still is!) French. Both have remarked upon both the poor quality and vastly inflated prices of good wine in this county.

Personally I love Alsace Gewurztraminer and I'm sure the last time I got a good bottle in Oddbins it was around 12 quid. Unique taste, wonderful. Something to convince red wine drinkers that whites can be rewarding too.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • asprilla
    unixnerd wrote:
    My neighbours run a ski school in France and the best man at my wedding was (and still is!) French. Both have remarked upon both the poor quality and vastly inflated prices of good wine in this county.

Personally I love Alsace Gewurztraminer and I'm sure the last time I got a good bottle in Oddbins it was around 12 quid. Unique taste, wonderful. Something to convince red wine drinkers that whites can be rewarding too.

I've not bought wine in the UK for a couple of years now. I tend take my holidays in France and will happily bring back 100 bottles at a time.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • SimonAH
    Nifer wrote:
    I'm still trying to work out where the Magnificent Wine Company is... :oops:

According to Snooth no current availability! Aargh, tell me they've not gone under and I've had my last bottle!

• asprilla
    Course the downside if buying from France by the case is that I've just opened a 2007 Paul Jaboulet Aine La Paradou and it's utter filth (not corked, just filth) and now I've got five and a half bottles to find something to do with. Guess I'm going to be cooking a lot of spag boll....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    I know nothing about wine.

I my experience though red wine which 'those in the know' rate highly I find to be undrinkable. I probably need to train my pallet for the more 'sophisticated' flavours.

I do like Wolf Blass, though it would probably be a mass market wine which others would scoff at. The Giant Defy or Specialized Allez of the wine world.

Don't like white wine and champagne is horrendous.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Asprilla wrote:
    Course the downside if buying from France by the case is that I've just opened a 2007 Paul Jaboulet Aine La Paradou and it's utter filth (not corked, just filth) and now I've got five and a half bottles to find something to do with. Guess I'm going to be cooking a lot of spag boll....

Why ruin your spag bol? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    We started off with Australian reds and now find them too sweet.

We now buy what we think will be the quality wines when on sale but have not been recording the good ones :cry:

On the other hand, I do go to Costco and have been taking notes of our favourites from there. All under £15.

Santa Margherita Valdobbiadene Prosecco - As good if not better than most of the "quality" champagnes.
    Bouchard Pere & Fils Pouilly Fuisse.
    Montana Pinot Noir Reserve - The exception to the Australian rule.
    Chateau de Chenas Fleurie.
    Cloitre Des Capucins Saint-Emilion Grand Cru

For a general white - Sancerre but I can't remember any labels.

All just a personal opinion of course 8)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • asprilla
    daviesee wrote:
    Bouchard Pere & Fils Pouilly Fuisse.

Very nice indeed. I think I've got some 2005 in the garage.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Oyster Bay Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Less than £10. :D

+1
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    The joy of wine is that everyone's spit is different. Plus different mood, ambience, food, company, etc. add to the variety. That said, Mrs SG and I do enjoy a bottle of Tanner's "famously juicy" claret with roast beef or a steak! Not expensive but delicious.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Let's put a ceiling of £15 per bottle?

I nominate Steakhouse Red by the Magnificent Wine Company at around £10 as a starter

Ceiling of £15 per bottle? :roll:

Thankfully I am retired but spend 7 months a year (Summer) in Spain approx 30 minutes (by car) from the French Border on the Med Coast, drive down every March, drive back every October, send the wife back by plane so I am alone in my Estate car 8)

Bring enough wine back to last the 5 months here in the North of England, £15 a bottle?

Thats about the price I pay for a case of 6, decent stuff too (luckily did my UK Wine Certificates paid for by my lifelong employer, Bass Brewers :) )

Long live LIDL Spain :P
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154

And frequently on offer at less than £7 / a botte.
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    Tesco.com regularly have special offers.
    If you sign up for email alerts, they'll send you a weekly summary of what's on offer.

They also have A 'Wine festival' once/twice a year when all wine is 20% off or 25% off if you buy at least 6 bottles.

That then brings Penfold Bin 389 into the required price range (normally it's about £18-£20 a bottle).

Majestic Wine also have good offers from time to time.
    Minimum order 6 bottles (mixed case allowed)

Mike
  • asprilla
    Mikelyons wrote:

And frequently on offer at less than £7 / a botte.

True. Must admit that I prefer Oyster Bay, and Hawks Bay Kiwis to the likes of Cloudy Bay which is incredibly inflated price wise.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • The French hypermarkets sell wine in a litre plastic bottles for about 80p, can't beat it.....
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • asprilla
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    The French hypermarkets sell wine in a litre plastic bottles for about 80p, can't beat it.....

The local offy in France will generally sell it from the tank and you take your own bottle, or jerry cans, to fill up.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Another one with very limited knowledge of wine, but I'm very partial to a variety of Chilean reds under a tenner at Majestic.

As for the Cloudy Bays, always loved the Te Kokos though (but they're more than a tenner).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • In more affluent times I would buy from these guys: http://www.pieroth.co.uk/ ~£100 for a case of 12 which incudes a tasting evening at your home to select how much of what type you want to mix and match.

really nice stuff and pure grape juice so never even a smidgeon of a hangover (and I'm a sucker for them bstrds)
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Join the Wine Society.

Buy their 'own brand' generic wines. Some are trully awesome.

Last years Full Red was amazing for a fiver.

The Pouilly Fume Cuvee du Boisfleury Loire Valley is just about the best I've had. I buy far too much wine from there. Free delivery to your door. Coming home from work to see 10 cases in your hall is a great feeling.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

£6.99 @ Netto or 5 bottles for £29.95

Good stuff
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Recently found a new independent wine shop in Worcester Park where I live called The Vin Bin. It only opened last September I think. Wine priced from £5 to £15 a bottle, discounts on cases, we got 10 bottles paid around £70 in total. Very friendly owners who know their wine and care about what they are selling (no cheap plonk in this shop). They also do tasting evenings.

www.thevinbin.co.uk
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • SimonAH
    £3.99 from the CoOp at the moment - ticketty boo guzzling Shiraz. Didn't feel guilty with chicken breast burgers in a ciabatta roll. Nom nom nom.
    aa620b7f.jpg

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Asprilla wrote:
    Just back from a week's skiing holiday in Austria. We drove down (easier with kids) and picked up 12 different bottles from Majestic in Calais on the way down. They let you pre-order, which means it only takes 10 mins to collect.

Saved us a fortune because we didn't have to buy wine at ski resort prices, and gave us an excuse to drink more (as if we needed one) because we obviously had to test every bottle.

Stopped off in Calais on the way back, and bought two boxes of each of the ones we liked (before driving extremely slowly onto the ferry to avoid grounding the back of the car...)
    Pannier, 120rpm.