LEJOG again!

the ferry
the ferry Posts: 258
edited February 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hello guys..going to give it a go this summer anyone have any tips on the cheapest way to get to Lands End Mid June from County Durham (apart from riding a bike!) or anyone want to share a journey and costs getting there? :)

Comments

• harpo
    harpo Posts: 173
    One way car rental can be as cheap and probably more convenient than the train. Stick your bike in the back of it and drop it off in Penzance, there are a few rental companies there.
  • the ferry
    the ferry Posts: 258
    ..hmm not bad will look into it. Get a very economical car and work out the price - cheers!
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    One way car hire to Penzance is a great option, gives you so much more flexibility with time etc. We had a 24 hour one way hire of a Ford Focus from Glasgow to Penzance for the start of our lejog in september. We used Europcar, think it was about £80 for the hire and another £80 in petrol cost, which for two of us was probably cheaper than any other method anyway.
  • gazrolo
    gazrolo Posts: 28
    Harpo, good to hear from another LEJOG-ER, we're doing ours in April. Fortunately we have been sponsored a vehicle and a tank of fuel (will need much more than that though :?) by my work (working for a van hire company does have it's advantages!).

Would be interested to hear about your experiences with planning etc. Check out our blog - we're hoping it will develop into a useful resource for anyone doing the end-to-end, already some good stuff on there.
    JOGLE Blog April 2011
    Twitter: G_Rolo
  • gazrolo
    gazrolo wrote:
    Harpo, good to hear from another LEJOG-ER, we're doing ours in April. Fortunately we have been sponsored a vehicle and a tank of fuel (will need much more than that though :?) by my work (working for a van hire company does have it's advantages!).

Would be interested to hear about your experiences with planning etc. Check out our blog - we're hoping it will develop into a useful resource for anyone doing the end-to-end, already some good stuff on there.

We've now got our route fully mapped out, looks exciting! Hopefully it will be of use to some other LEJOG'ers too; we found route planning was a time consuming pain in the bum http://journal.garethroulston.co.uk/?page_id=87
    JOGLE Blog April 2011
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Almost certainly the cheapest way will be by train. Cheap tickets are released around 12 weeks in advance and you need to get in quick to get the cheap tickets, but they can be VERY cheap. Its often even cheaper to split the journey into parts. I'd start checking thetrainline (or similar) every day about 13 weeks before you plan to travel so you don't miss the cheapest tickets - obviously you can get the outward tickets before the return, but you can see how cheap the return ones will probably be if you check the return prices for an earlier date.

My tickets from Sheffield - Panzance and then from Thurso back to Sheffield cost under £50.

You need to be sure to book your bike on either when you buy your ticket or immediately afterwards and don't necessarily believe any website if it says no bike spaces are available. Try phoning the operator to check.
    More problems but still living....
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I like your route through the Marches. No shortage of hills & fine views.. :D

Are you camping or B&B ing?
  • harpo
    harpo Posts: 173
    gazrolo wrote:

I had a look at your routes and I would say to avoid Avonmouth and cross the Severn coming in at it from Bristol. Have a look at my blog and you will see the garmin log of that day http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7587086. I found the industrial area around there at the Avonmouth bridge to be horrible.

Day 4 go via Ludlow if you can. It is a beautiful town and has great eateries and coffee/cake shops for a stop. Much Wenlock is a lovely place too.

Day 7 Loch Eck after Dunoon is a beautiful cycle in nice weather.
  • gazrolo
    mr_si wrote:
    I like your route through the Marches. No shortage of hills & fine views.. :D

Are you camping or B&B ing?

Hey,

Glad you think the route looks good! We're finalising accommodation at the minute but most likely to be Travel Lodge/Premier Inn as it will be easy and fairly well priced. Our second preference is B&B's, which will take a bit more research but we'll have to do that in some areas, esp as we get further up Scotland.

Are you doing the trip?
    JOGLE Blog April 2011
  • gazrolo
    harpo wrote:
    gazrolo wrote:

I had a look at your routes and I would say to avoid Avonmouth and cross the Severn coming in at it from Bristol. Have a look at my blog and you will see the garmin log of that day http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7587086. I found the industrial area around there at the Avonmouth bridge to be horrible.

Day 4 go via Ludlow if you can. It is a beautiful town and has great eateries and coffee/cake shops for a stop. Much Wenlock is a lovely place too.

Day 7 Loch Eck after Dunoon is a beautiful cycle in nice weather.

Hi Harpo,

Cheers for the advice, we will be adjusting the route to reflect it. Always good to get some help from someone who has been there and done it.

Any pub/cafe or accommodation highlights you'd like to pass on from your trip?

Thanks,
    Gaz
    JOGLE Blog April 2011
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    gazrolo wrote:
    Are you doing the trip?

Not soon. Mrs Si bought me a LEJOG guide for Xmas (which is her tacit approval of the ambition becoming a plan). Lots of different possibilities to be worked through (1 week / 2 weeks / 3 weeks with tents etc).
    harpo wrote:
    I had a look at your routes and I would say to avoid Avonmouth and cross the Severn coming in at it from Bristol.

Probably best to avoid Avonmouth and better to head into Bristol once you've crossed the Avonmouth Bridge (or come off earlier and head for Clifton from Portbury). Bristol is maybe an hour's worth of cycling and there's stuff to see like Clifton Suspension Bridge (which would make a very viable part of the route). If you're going as far inland as Cheddar (which makes for a hilly & lengthy detour) there's the possibility of going round Bristol the other way or picking up the Bristol - Bath cycle path at Temple Meads.
  • amaferanga
    How on earth did you get £50 tickets - I've been looking as soon as they are released but nothing less than £180 for me (admittedly from Newcastle) - cheers Nigel
    Tourer: 2010 Dawes Ultra Galaxy
    Road: 2011 Trek Madone 4.7
    Fun: 1973 Raleigh Chopper MKII

http://www.nigelend2end.co.uk
    http://www.purplechopper.co.uk
    http://www.kbcycles.com/
  • barney69 wrote:
    amaferanga
    How on earth did you get £50 tickets - I've been looking as soon as they are released but nothing less than £180 for me (admittedly from Newcastle) - cheers Nigel

I've got to and from Penzance for around £30-40 from Leeds and enjoyed similar prices for to and from JOG also Leeds based.

I think the secret might lie in picking midweek days.

I've just looked at fares for week commencing 3rd April and can gat to Penzance for £38 and Thurso for £40.