Insurance where do you go

jeremyrundle
jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Now this is one area I should know, but, since I bought a new (had one built) bike over £1k my home insurance will not cover it. I am with CTC, but wondered where others here with £1k plus owners go.
Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html

Comments

• waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    ETA. Cheaper than Cycleguard (and with slightly less daft security requirements).

Apparently M&S contents insurance is thought to be a good option, but I found insuring my contents with LV andd 2 bikes with ETA was cheaper than the single M&S policy!
    Rules are for fools.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    M&S home insurance, IIRC 4k cover.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Now this is one area I should know, but, since I bought a new (had one built) bike over £1k my home insurance will not cover it. I am with CTC, but wondered where others here with £1k plus owners go.

Change your home insurance then as your deal is crap.

I believe M&S is good but their scheme is run by Axa who cherry pic the best customers (lowest risk). IIRC it is up to £4k for a single, group or set of bikes.

I'm with Churchill. All my bikes are named on my policy, insured away from the home against theft. If left unattended away from the home they must be locked up which one does anyway. I'd like to try M&S home insurance but happy with my current arrangements. Plus I don't like M&S, but that's a long story.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • jeremyrundle
    Sorry, my mistake, should have gone into more detail, my error, the company I am with are not &%^, I live in a grade 2 listed building, M and S do not cover listed buildings which is why I am with a company which does, what I need is "cycle insurance".

Thank you

• Sorry, my mistake, should have gone into more detail, my error, the company I am with are not &%^, I live in a grade 2 listed building, M and S do not cover listed buildings which is why I am with a company which does, what I need is "cycle insurance".

Will they not cover the bikes as named items with an explicit value? That's how I've got things done on my home insurance as all my bikes are over the threshold they allow for generic bike cover on my policy. When I first set it up it was about £30 a year for the extra cover and since my contents insurance premium has stayed pretty constant since then its probably still about the same.

Mike
  • jeremyrundle
    No this is one of the FEW companies that insures listed buildings.

• No this is one of the FEW companies that insures listed buildings.

Ok got it, listed buildings insurance. Everyone is talking about contents insurance though. Assumedly your contents aren't listed and could be insured elsewhere?

Also just as a question, have you asked if they'll quote on a bespoke content. Generally if theres money in it for them they will do so. L&G did with me, their standard bike cover was insuff and was v basic. For~£6 a month I've got a singing & dancing bespoke addition to my home contents policy.
  • jeremyrundle
    No this is one of the FEW companies that insures listed buildings.

Ok got it, listed buildings insurance. Everyone is talking about contents insurance though. Assumedly your contents aren't listed and could be insured elsewhere?

Also just as a question, have you asked if they'll quote on a bespoke content. Generally if theres money in it for them they will do so. L&G did with me, their standard bike cover was insuff and was v basic. For~£6 a month I've got a singing & dancing bespoke addition to my home contents policy.

No, in fact that is the problem, I do not have building insurance just content, BUT insurance companies will NOT insure content on listed buildings as you have NO locking windows (with actual keys), can not fit 5 lever deadlocks to a 200 year old oak door, no alarms and single glazed windows, see what I mean, so few will insure the content. Hence I need separate bike insurance. These are easily locked up outside in a garage.

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    in-depth analysis of home security

given how much detail you give of your bikes on this open public forum I'd remove that post as I there's a very good likelihood a small percentage of the people on this forum are not cycling enthusiasts and what you wrote paints an inviting picture.
    Hat + Beard
  • jeremyrundle
    hatbeard wrote:
    in-depth analysis of home security

given how much detail you give of your bikes on this open public forum I'd remove that post as I there's a very good likelihood a small percentage of the people on this forum are not cycling enthusiasts and what you wrote paints an inviting picture.

Trouble is that I am an honest person, and you are quite right, perhaps I should take more care, that is the problem with people like me they tend to forget that there are some who are not honest, consderate and caring.

All I would say is that being a 200 year old property the windows are only 12" wide with granite columbs in between, the walls are 3' thick and the doors even the police have said they would never get through finally we are surrounded by a 14' wall.