Headset spacers (DH hardtail)

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited February 2011 in MTB beginners
I got my headset fitted & fork crown faced at the local shop today & they also cut the steerer, which I wasn't expecting.
I only seem to be able to fit a single 5mm spacer under the stem, is it normal to keep the stem low on a hardtail DH bike? I have looked at a few photo's on the net and they all seem to have only 5-10mm under the stem, though my Trance has got 20mm under the stem.
I guess for any more adjustment I would have to buy higher bars?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    yeah that happened to me when I built a road bike a while back. Quite annoyed with the shop. As it was a completely new build there were always going to be set-up issues; I tried short stems and riser stems and was never completely happy with it - I've ended up with a long one with a shallow rise.

You don't have to have spacers, I'd ride the bike for a bit and see what you think. If you really feel low then start experimenting with stems. You can get steerer tube extensions but to my eyes they look a bit clumsy & I wouldn't be happy if I was crashing around on a trail.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    My Evil Sovereign didn't require any spacers under the stem as the front is high enough on it's own. I tried it with spacers under but with my chosen Renthal bars it felt like a shopping bike. Since I hate spacers on top of the stem I chopped my steerer down and it feels great now.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I should be ok, the front end is going to be high with a 160 fork & I have got riser bars.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    one 5mm spacer is not much but IF it feels fine the it is.

Most riders are going for a low front now with flat bars.

BUT if you did not ask them to cut it then ......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    I agree i think it's quite unprofessional to cut the steerer that short without asking.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Before I buy or have mine fitted I insist they do not cut, though a proper shop will/should ask.

However as I have a bad back I still use a riser, it is an extension that goes between the handlebar and the fork.

http://www.mailorderbikes.com/products. ... 3948&rs=gb

Look at this sort of thing.

Or

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/delta-delta- ... rc=froogle

NOT to be confused with the STEM, this is a stem raiser
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • take it back and complain if you didn't ask them to cut the steerer.

Personally, it wouldn't have left the shop if it was me.
  • jeremyrundle
    take it back and complain if you didn't ask them to cut the steerer.

Personally, it wouldn't have left the shop if it was me.

100% agree you wouldn't buy a long sleve shirt and expect tesco to cut the sleves off turning it into a short sleve

• rockmonkeysc
    I think it should be ok, I have got no more than 10mm under the stems on my other bikes & at worst I would just have to buy a higher rise bar.
    The shop has been very helpful with various things so don't want to go in demanding new forks when there may not even be a problem. I have had several minor repairs done for free in the shop and they let me borrow a selection of chain rings & stems in the past to get my bike set up.
  • jeremyrundle
    Ah you see there is the problem we ALL have sometime, I have a great shop too, most helpful and I know if I have a problem it will be sorted no question, so when I bought my sons latest shocks and they were slightly faulty, I wrote to Sram and was sent a free part, rather than "complain" to a shop who helps.

However,we ALL learn, and when you go back for somethinge else, think if it may be altered first and say, in passing, oh and please don't do so and so.

I have had four sets of shocks and never have any cut, until I know 100% I need them cut, and so far they never have been.

• FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    a DH Hardtail isn't normal, full stop.

The bike will still be fine, so long as you're happy with the stem height. The shop would have only cut it down to fit with the spacers you provided. You dont really want too many spacers anyway, especially with a long travel fork (which i expect you have if you describe your hardtail as DH)

If its too low for you to ride, only then would you need to complain.....in my opinion anyway.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I didn't give them any spacers. The mechanic cut it using a guage.
    I have got long (160mm) travel forks & 1" riser bars so at worst I will just get some higher bars.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    FunBus wrote:
    a DH Hardtail isn't normal, full stop.

whats not normal about this??

pbpic136858.jpg

as a side note not everyone can afford a susser so a DH hardtail is perfect for pretty much everything in this country.

OP i have a 3mm spacer under my stem and thats it, but really its a matter of how it feels in relation to bb height, fork length, headtube length, etc. etc.
    i ride a hardtail
  • rockmonkeysc
    That thing looks brutal, bit more extreme than my hardtail.
    Nothing wrong with riding DH on a hardtail. My full sus trail bike has made me lazy, I want to learn to ride properly before I get a full sus DH bike.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd complain, even if it's not a problem tomorrow it might be in a month or a year if you want to change bike or raise the stem or whatever. But you won't be able to complain then.
    Uncompromising extremist