Portes du Soleil general infos

bennett_346
bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited January 2011 in Routes
Hi, so me and my family have 2 weeks in the Portes du Soleil booked in the summer. I was just really looking for some general info on the resorts and riding there etc.

We'll be staying in Chatel but have a lift pass for the region. My bike is a 2010 pitch pro but im not really a hard serious rider, more looking to pick my way down technical runs without emphasis on speed too heavily. Does anyone know what runs in and near chatel are roughly tailored to my liking, ie not xc but not dh.

I'm not a beginner but im not looking to tear myself apart as mtb is not the sole attraction of the trip :lol:

Also how do chairlift uplifts work with a bike? I'm a summer alps virgin but ive been skiing in the resort countless times. Any other general points for riding there?

Cheers guys, im aware its a big resort for dh but im assuming theres ample AM stuff judging by the website reccomending an AM bike.

Comments

• RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    I ride a Pitch Pro and have ridden all the downhill runs there pretty much no problems. I've ridden Chatel but not stayed there we stayed in Morzine. The best way to travel round is get a Portes du soleil lift pass, Deffinately try the Chavane run its fun. Alot of the trails though fast are quite wide. In terms of runs start easy and work your way up the grades.
  • DXG82
    DXG82 Posts: 35
    As far as taking bikes on the ski lifts they just hook on by the front wheel, it is slightly different according to which exact ski lift but they all essentially just hook on. If you watch the people in front of you getting on the lift it is quite self-explanatory.

On some lifts (eg the Chavannes in Les Gets) your bike will hook onto the chair lift in front of the one you sit on and there are people at the other end to get your bike off for you. In other lifts (ie the cable cars) your bike will hook on your cable car.

I found that the staff were quite helpful so if they see someone struggling to put the bike on the lift they will come and help you out.

Have fun!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Cheers very much for the info guys! Will remember to check out chavanes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Most of the DH runs in the area are very high speed DH runs. The more technical stuff is generally in Chatel, but their "techy" runs are proper brown trousers kind of techy.