Peter Post : RIP

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2011 in Pro race
I think I've just read Peter Post has passed away. One of the legendary DS's of Dutch cycling.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Confirmed by Dan Benson on twitter.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    I think I've just read Peter Post has passed away. One of the legendary DS's of Dutch cycling.

Very sad.
    http://www.nusport.nl/wielrennen/242311 ... leden.html
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Not only a legendary DS, but a rider of some talent too, whose victories included 65 Six Day races on the track, and Paris-Roubaix.

RIP Peter.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Was just reading We Were Young and Care Free where the story of TI Raleigh's fearsome echelon formations in crosswinds appears and wondering about Post these days. Sad news today. I believe he still holds the fastest ever Paris Roubaix record
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Sad news, though I'd imagine he's already bossing Pantani, Anquetil and VdB around on the "other side", berating them for being sh!te in echelons.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Sad news, one of the iconic directeurs sportives of the sport, and one of the most succesful ones, of the classic Alex Ferguson-style bully/fatherfigure type.

And yes, he still holds the record of the fastest Paris-Roubaix (big tailwind).
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    FJS wrote:
    Sad news, one of the iconic directeurs sportives of the sport, and one of the most succesful ones, of the classic Alex Ferguson-style bully/fatherfigure type.

And yes, he still holds the record of the fastest Paris-Roubaix (big tailwind).
    Wasn't it also a record for the fastest ever road race over 200 Km at the time? Tailwind or not, that was some going over cobbles. 29mph if my memory is correct.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Wasn't it run over a predominantly uncobbled route in the mid-60s? That edition is what led to the re-introduction of more cobbled sections to make the race more selective I think.

Or am I making this up?
  • A hard no nonsense man, too hard for some, I remember seeing him at the Wembley sixes many years ago. Another link with the past passes away.
    onward ever onward
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dave_1
    I remember Ligget in the 1980s, when he was fairly impartial to riders, used to speak of TI Raleigh quite admiringly. I wonder if Post's strategy makes him the father of modern cycling we see now in terms getting the team together up front to win races. Superconfex, Once, Fassa,CSC, Cipo's train, HTC's finales for Cav perhaps owe post a little thanks? I don't know if these types of really organised teams were around in the 1970s though...were they?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I remember Ligget in the 1980s, when he was fairly impartial to riders, used to speak of TI Raleigh quite admiringly. I wonder if Post's strategy makes him the father of modern cycling we see now in terms getting the team together up front to win races. Superconfex, Once, Fassa,CSC, Cipo's train, HTC's finales for Cav perhaps owe post a little thanks? I don't know if these types of really organised teams were around in the 1970s though...were they?

Yeah, I think he's generally credited with the creation, or at least popularisation, of the sprint train.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • darren H
    darren H Posts: 122
    Indeed sad news. He was a hard taskmaster
    When I worked at Raleigh in the late eighties. Lots of stories about the Raleigh team.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Passing of a true legend. RIP Keizer.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Sad news. But I have never really been a person who was much inspired by watching big Dutchmen banging over flat courses.
  • I think Sid Barras chinned him once.

RIP
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    peterpost-obit.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Dave_1 wrote:

The main thing he did tactically, from what i've heard at least, was that he would decide who the team was going to ride for that day on the road, rather than on the team bus, and then do the above.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited January 2011
    Dave_1 wrote:

The main thing he did tactically, from what i've heard at least, was that he would decide who the team was going to ride for that day on the road, rather than on the team bus, and then do the above.

I think it even went a bit further - before Post/Raleigh there used to be a very strict and hierarchcal team leader - domestique division, a line that was not to be crossed, even if the domestique happened to have a better day than his leader. As far as I've heard, Post introduced the idea that any team member could win, with his teams always made up of several strong riders, blurring the domestique-leader boundaries, and opening up huge new tactical advantages
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    That rare beast - a rider who was great on the bike and then off it as a DS - far more successful than someone like Bruyneel - was there anything Ti Raleight didn't win?

RIP the sport could do with more people like Peter Post
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Looking back on '60s Dutch riding shows up how poor Dutch riding is now.
  • dave_1
    FJS wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

I think it even went a bit further - before Post/Raleigh there used to be a very strict and hierarchcal team leader - domestique division, a line that was not to be crossed, even if the domestique happened to have a better day than his leader. As far as I've heard, Post introduced the idea that any team member could win, with his teams always made up of several strong riders, blurring the domestique-leader boundaries, and opening up huge new tactical advantages

As I say, the accounts in the Fignon book is TI Raleigh were fearsome as a unit so a deserves huge credit given how many teams copy his strategy. I definitely don't think gothteeshirt2 benefited from Post at all.. IMO Post over raced Millar-85 showed how 86 and 87 should have been.
  • His Paris Roubaix win is something else. Won in a four up sprint at the end of a bloody hard and fast race - imagine danny stam winning it today? The guy was awesome, and must have been as hard as nails mentally. Found this video footage of him winning - appears there were some cobbles in the race. Enjoy the link
    http://www.cyclingarchives.com/avfiche.php?avid=1079