2nd Lock - Cable or chain?

blacknosugar
blacknosugar Posts: 36
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all

I want to pick up a second lock for parking my cycle in London.
I already have an Abus Granit which I have a fair bit of confidence in - last theft attempt did more damage to the bike than the lock.

What's a good second lock to back this up with? I don't want something too heavy, the Abus is already 1.8kg.

Cheers!
"Always carry a firearm East of Aldgate, Watson."

Comments

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Abus Ionus. FOrget about cables.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    ndru wrote:
    Abus Ionus. FOrget about cables.

No don't forget about cables, I use nothing else, and to upset someone again.....

http://www.trelock.de/web/en/produkte/m ... MP_650.php

Though it is not exactly a "cable" as many would know it.

OR these are superb, wheel to frame

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trelock-Bike-fram ... 5d2b9643a8

http://www.trelock.de/web/en/produkte/f ... RS_440.php
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • agree with JR - I have a heavy duty cable for front wheel/frame/stand, dutch style rear wheel lock (as 2 x JR links) and D Lock to secure frame to stand. best combo of weight and security locking both wheels and using 2 x locks frame to stand.
  • It is vital to have good quality primary security - and you seem to have that covered with your Abus Granit. Provided you park your bike sensibly and use this lock appropriately you will already significantly reduced the chance of someone making off with your entire bike.

Using secondary security might make your bike a little safer, but may help to reduce the bigger risk that someone will nick part of your bike (a wheel, seatpost, saddle etc.).

Potentially better quality secondary security will make these parts a little safer but a determined thief with the right tools can get anything.

I tend to use one very good D lock and either one or two mid range cables to secure front wheel and saddle. These have the added benefit of securing the front of the bike to a sheffield stand etc. and prevents any potential thief from using the bike frame itself as a lever to attack the primary lock.

I accept that basic tools will make pretty short work of these cables, but hope that I'll be better protected than the next bike.

Chains and heavyweight cables may make your bike even better defended, as would additional D locks. It's all a balance between risk reduction and practicality.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • jeremyrundle
    If the second lock is purely for wheels headset seat then use Pinheads.

• Thanks for the tips.
    The Abus Ionus is a bit more than I wanted to spend. I was looking at the Abus Centuro, or even Abus Microflex as I miss having a ‘nip to the newsagents’ type lock. Having Google’d the Centuro I gather that while it might deter casual scum, the money spent on a good quality armoured cable lock buys you roughly one second to position the bolt cutters, and one second to snip it off. (And the more organised scum do regularly come equipped with bolt cutters in London.)

I’ve gone for an Onguard Mastiff chain & lock combo instead, which throws my light-weight requirement slightly out the window, but for only a couple of quid more than the Microflex it seems to offer a lot of bang for buck. It’s about £17 from Amazon or Wiggle. I’m sure there are better chains, but hopefully when combined with the Granit it’ll look like too much hassle.
    prevents any potential thief from using the bike frame itself as a lever to attack the primary lock.

That's what happened last time - bent the frame and both wheels, didn't touch the lock! :x
    "Always carry a firearm East of Aldgate, Watson."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Security skewers are useless if the bike has cup and cone wheels.

Cables are not worth anything, you're better off with a cheap chain than an expensive cable as secondary security. Masterlock do a great £20 chain which is pretty tough (~30 secs vs. anglegrinder) although the locking mechanisms can get a bit sticky.

Personally for secondary security I'm a big fan of mini alarmed d-locks coupled with a big chain for primary security. If you're popping into a cafe lock the d-lock round the crank to chainstay or through the chainring... The alarm gives you enough time to get out before they get away.
  • That's what happened last time - bent the frame and both wheels, didn't touch the lock! :x

Which is why IMHO a second lock to secure the front of the bike to something immovable is a better (if less elegant) solution than something like pinheads.

Glad you got something that you are happy with. I'd always use the primary lock even if I was just nipping to the newsagent.
  • jeremyrundle
    Security skewers are useless if the bike has cup and cone wheels.

Cables are not worth anything, you're better off with a cheap chain than an expensive cable as secondary security. Masterlock do a great £20 chain which is pretty tough (~30 secs vs. anglegrinder) although the locking mechanisms can get a bit sticky.

Personally for secondary security I'm a big fan of mini alarmed d-locks coupled with a big chain for primary security. If you're popping into a cafe lock the d-lock round the crank to chainstay or through the chainring... The alarm gives you enough time to get out before they get away.

Alarmed locks are a waste of sensible money alarm overcome with a £1.99 can of ice spray, so "Cables are not worth anything" it shows that personal opinion and choice is also important, I have a cable and Trelock :!:, also it is just as much about where you leave the bike and the area, I have no intention of using a NY forgetabout it in Tavistock, Devon, and have no intention of visiting London.

As for Pinheads they are a deterant as are ALL locks, and I don't have cup and cone

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The point is alarmed locks are only used for quick stops where the bike is in close distance, especially as most casual thieves (your only concern on quick stops) rarely carry ice spray or expanding foam (which works better)

I take your point about location and in tavistock you probably don't need a lock at all!!!!!!!!!!

That said, given that you can stand on a heavily foot-trafficked street with a hacksaw/angle grinder/bolt croppers and no-one will bat an eyelid, I wouldn't use a cable lock at all, or recommend them to anyone for anywhere where crime is an issue. I haven't come across a cable lock (even of that size) that you can't break in less than 30 seconds if you know the tricks.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    The point is alarmed locks are only used for quick stops where the bike is in close distance, especially as most casual thieves (your only concern on quick stops) rarely carry ice spray or expanding foam (which works better)

I take your point about location and in tavistock you probably don't need a lock at all!!!!!!!!!!

That said, given that you can stand on a heavily foot-trafficked street with a hacksaw/angle grinder/bolt croppers and no-one will bat an eyelid, I wouldn't use a cable lock at all, or recommend them to anyone for anywhere where crime is an issue. I haven't come across a cable lock (even of that size) that you can't break in less than 30 seconds if you know the tricks.

About a month ago I saw a guy come out of chav looking terraced housing with a 4-5foot pair of bolt cutters on his shoulder. He walked along the street checking out a few BSO MTBs but left them as he was obviously fussy. I was in my car parked up so he probably didn't see me. No I wasn't in a stake out. But several people walked by him not batting an eyelid or a second look :shock: .

I wouldn't bother with cables or chains (unless hardened anchor chain) as you may as well use cheesy strings instead.

So to answer the OP's question - another Abus Granit D lock.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna wrote:
    About a month ago I saw a guy come out of chav looking terraced housing with a 4-5foot pair of bolt cutters on his shoulder. He walked along the street checking out a few BSO MTBs but left them as he was obviously fussy. I was in my car parked up so he probably didn't see me. No I wasn't in a stake out. But several people walked by him not batting an eyelid or a second look :shock: .

Interesting spot. I wonder what other cyclists would do having witnessed this? I must confess that I have the local cctv monitoring station telephone number in my mobile. If I saw something like this I'd give them call and let them monitor. Maybe that makes me a busy-body but if it saves a fellow cyclist from losing their bike I can live with that.

Not sure what I'd do in another town or in an area that wasn't monitored by cctv though.