Please help me

lfc_westy
lfc_westy Posts: 87
edited January 2011 in Amateur race
Hey there guys, i am doing some business coursework and i have to simulate running a bike brand, selling good quality bikes to the market of, well, you lot!

ive been thinking long and hard but i really cannot figure out what to call myself, (this will be the brand name that goes on the bike and factory team jersey with it)

I want it to be short and catchy but also meaningful and original without being too similar to another company (that already exists)

so what would you guys want to see on the down tube of a bike that would make you buy it?

and who knows if i simulate this and turn a profit you might see the real thing one day !

any ideas are appreciated
Thankyou all :)

p.s sorry this might be in the wrong section but i am desperate for a name !
It Never Gets Easier, you just get Faster and luckier.

UEA Road Captain

Planet X SL pro carbon - sram rival

Comments

• jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Why not do something based around the word "velo", as cliché as it is it's always popular...
  • If the task ahead is too great, you may have to give up, having failed at the first hurdle. :lol:
  • lfc_westy wrote:
    Hey there guys, i am doing some business coursework and i have to simulate running a bike brand, selling good quality bikes to the market of, well, you lot!

ive been thinking long and hard but i really cannot figure out what to call myself, (this will be the brand name that goes on the bike and factory team jersey with it)

I want it to be short and catchy but also meaningful and original without being too similar to another company (that already exists)

so what would you guys want to see on the down tube of a bike that would make you buy it?

and who knows if i simulate this and turn a profit you might see the real thing one day !

any ideas are appreciated
    Thankyou all :)

p.s sorry this might be in the wrong section but i am desperate for a name !

probably not TRUK then...
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    OK I think it depends on what kind of company it is - who the target market is .

If it was a boutique custom made type stuff - bit like Independent Fabrication what about Limerence which means a sort of obsessive love. A bit pretentious maybe but that kind of stuff isn't it.

If it's race bikes, top end, there's always the temptation to tap into the continental traditions of the sport but that's a bit cliched. What about a hunting animal - bird of prey (you've got Condor bikes) or big cat (Jaguar cars, leopard cycling team etc) or some other predator. Looking at Wiki the only one that sounds a bit like a bike is Lammergeier - which is at least the biggest bird in the alps..apparently.

Or what about something simple like Elan - works for Lotus - don't know how copyright would affect that but the meaning fits plus it's a nice cycling area in Wales amongst other things.

Or seeing as there is a company making top end bikes called Seven you go one better - Eight

Hard isn't it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Reggy Perin did very well with GROT.

Put yourself in the mind of a male purchaser going into a shop and saying....

I would like a ......Massive
    ............................ Huge
    ............................Great

Something like that but written in Italian.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Weight is everything to the "discerning" (i.e. person with more money than sense) cyclist so how about Helium to conjure up images of you floating, balloon-like up a hill? Or Aero (aerodynamic or light bubbly chocolate, it's a winner both ways), you could even go poncy with a name like Aerodynamique. I did think Gossamer but it conjures up images of condoms for some reason!!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Take a hint from Dilbert. :wink:

Take a name from space and astronomy and a name from science and combine them!

'Uranus-Hertz'?

....I'll get me coat
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    cyco2 wrote:
    Reggy Perin did very well with GROT.

I didn't get where I am today by riding a Grot bike ;)
    cyco2 wrote:
    Put yourself in the mind of a male purchaser going into a shop and saying....

I would like a ......Massive
    ............................ Huge
    ............................Great

Something like that but written in Italian.

Can't go wrong with French or Italian really - any word in either of those languages that implies that the bike is going to be light and/or nippy. Birds & animals have already been suggested, also how about famous mountains? And there's also names taken from mythology (not Zeus or Argos [1] though, they're both taken already).

David

[1] Bristol's finest, obviously, not the place that does cheap kettles and toasters. ;)
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    along the line of the above post

http://www.mythome.org/sportgods.html

any of the above grab you?

• Can't go wrong with French or Italian really ... And there's also names taken from mythology (not Zeus or Argos [1] though, they're both taken already).

David

How about 'Sapphique' - girl-on-girl action is always popular!
  • wieler
  • accelerare (Italian for accelarate) listen to it in Google translate.
    Specialized Langster
    Specialized Enduro Expert
    Specialized Rockhopper

This season I will be mainly riding a Specialized
  • DavidBelcher
    Clank wrote:
    Take a hint from Dilbert. :wink:

Take a name from space and astronomy and a name from science and combine them!

'Uranus-Hertz'?

....I'll get me coat

If the bike's fitted with one of these....

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... e_2102.htm

....that may well be the case. :oops:

David
  • edit
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    A lot of bike brands carry the name of a famous or semi-famous ex-pro who founded the company. So you could become a pro, win the TdF 2 or 3 times and then name the brand after yourself.

Failing that...

I'd avoid the cliches - a very Italian sounding name is great if the brand has real heritage, but if it's brand new (and not even Italian) it's just going to sound tacky.

How about some term from exercise physiology that also carries other adrenaline or adventure related connotations, e.g. "threshold" or "pulse"?

Or you could just be authentic and name it after a local town or landmark that sounds nice.
  • DavidBelcher
    neeb wrote:
    Or you could just be authentic and name it after a local town or landmark that sounds nice.

Some might argue that British placenames don't quite have the same flair as their continental equivalents. Never did Mercian or Carlton any harm, mind you!

David
  • How about "Westy" based on your online cycling persona. It's personal to you, short, friendly and perhaps boutique-sounding (think Rapha"). On the other hand it's not an aggressive name and doesn't conjure images of racing.

Names aren't that big an influence to me. As a teenager I lusted after the Ciooc brand and I'm still not sure how it's pronounced (or spelt). And my current rides are an Airborne Zeppelin and a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo!
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!