Can I use a normal pump for forks?

carrera_vulcan
carrera_vulcan Posts: 125
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

I was wondering if I could use a normal pump that still shows the pressure instead of a shock pump?

Thanks

Comments

• wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    What pressure does the gauge on this normal pump go up to?
  • MTFU and invest in a shock pump, they are the right part for the job, small and portable so you can lug it along on the trail if need be
    I recommend the Topeak unit, excellent quality for the price
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    For low pressure shocks, yes. Might need an adapter/extender to be able to fit your normal pump though.
    "Coming through..."
  • Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    Can be done yeah, not the best tool for the job though as you will find out if and when you try it.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've got a brand new rockshox one from my revelations (i've got two or three now, so can part with one) pm me if you're interested.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    You are never going to get the best out of your fork with a tyre pump.

Find or borrow £30 and set the fork up properly.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Personally Id sayl no. The valve has a thread on it so getting it to seal will be tough, you normally have to put in the region of 100psi into it. Maybe tough with a normal pump designed for circa 30 psi ( I know road tyres are much higher before I get the comment) Particularly to get an accurate pressure

Try it, if it dont work theres our answer
  • Thanks a lot to everyone!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shocks need high pressure but very low volumes. A track pump will easily do the pressure, but never be sensitive enough - shock pumps also have a release valve to let out small amounts of air.
    £30 is crazy. Decent pumps around £15.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    I think most manufacturers advise against it because the volume is too big and you risk blowing the seals on the cartridge. Especially if you were to use a track pump.

Shock pumps aren't that expensive and you'll have it forever usefull thing to add to your tool kit and your gong to use it more than once or twice.
  • No
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • cooldad wrote:
    Shocks need high pressure but very low volumes. A track pump will easily do the pressure, but never be sensitive enough - shock pumps also have a release valve to let out small amounts of air.

+1
    use the right tool for the job
    valve screws into place giving proper seal
    lightweight and portable, flexible hose makes inflation easy, track pumps and other pumps dont really work, forks and rear shocks in particular require very high pressures.
    not many pumps can do the pressure and they tend to have too much volume which can damage your fork/shock
  • tri-sexual wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

+1
    lightweight and portable, flexible hose makes inflation easy, track pumps and other pumps dont really work, forks and rear shocks in particular require very high pressures.
    not many pumps can do the pressure and they tend to have too much volume which can damage your fork/shock
    even halfords make something that works well for £20
  • Philcho
    Philcho Posts: 57
    This is the one i have although i now have two because of a recent fork purchase, haven't used the other yet but this topeak one is great for the price...
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-pocket-s ... ith-gauge/
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Philco, that's the one I have.

It's perfect and when I took it out on my first rides for fine tuning, I didn't even notice it in my pocket.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    tri-sexual wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

+1
    even halfords make something that works well for £20
    that's because it's the same generic one that loads of companies rebrand.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Ive got the halfords one. Works fine