T329 JWP - you have been reported to the police

cyclopsbiker
cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
no idea what type of car it was...too busy avoiding being taken out by it. youngish male drive with male passenger

total w***er on Rotherhithe roundabout decides to Undertake me - I'm in the outside (left) lane on the bit between the tunnel in road and out road...he was so close I had to swerve into the other lane to avoid being hit, I swear his mirror brushed my side. anyway....quite handily there's a police station 10 seconds down the road so I took his number plate and reported him. not that I expect anything to be done about it. still fuming from his dangerous driving....his fingers up at me and shouts afterwards were just amusing....but the police have a record of that too. total w****er.

Comments

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Hope all goes well, perhaps if enough people are subject to this plonker he'll get a visit. I know what you're saying though, you wont hold your breath...
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Hey glad your ok though if a little p!ssed off by the sounds of it. Had a few close calls on that roundabout but to be far some were my fault not the nicest bit of my commute.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • thanks, I'm fine....though as Butterd2 says, a little p'd off. I really don't expect the police to do anything...but if he's involved in an actual accident then I told the police I would be prepared to go to court to testify that he drove like a t***er narrowly avoiding me. I'm always really careful with my positioning on that roundabout, taking primary in the lane as you can get caught out by cars joining the roundabout from Brunel Road.

tbh I'm not sure what annoys me more, the idiot driver and his attitude, knowing that nothing will be done to reprimand him in any way. or the police for having policies in place that mean they don't deal with this sort of idiot. I was brought up to respect other people and their property, and in way to fear the law and obey the rules. its not difficult, and if everyone did this life would be much happier.....rant over!!

stay safe out there folks
  • http://www.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/

some people don't know about this. if there is a few reports it can generate a visit from the Met.

i beleive there is one in operation in Southampton too
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • thanks Drysuitdiver....searching for that website was on my list to do tonight, and let the Rotherhithe police station know the details too as the police man I spoke to hadn't heard of it.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    edited January 2011
    headcam, headcam, headcam...................................................

£9 or LESS if you look, or the same one 100% Maplin £30.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-DV-Spy-Hidden ... 255c22e704

Why doesn't everyone have them :!:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • downfader
    http://www.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/

some people don't know about this. if there is a few reports it can generate a visit from the Met.

There is not a Roadsafe to my knowledge in Southampton, though you may take cam footage and/or reports directly to a station (prefereably their head office in the city center) and ask to speak to Traffic. Its still difficult to get them to listen though. :?
  • jeremyrundle
    downfader wrote:

There is not a Roadsafe to my knowledge in Southampton, though you may take cam footage and/or reports directly to a station (prefereably their head office in the city center) and ask to speak to Traffic. Its still difficult to get them to listen though. :?

No it isn't, you simply say "are you refusing to take this matter seriously, and refusing to investigate it, if so then please take my details for a formal complaint".

• downfader
    downfader wrote:

No it isn't, you simply say "are you refusing to take this matter seriously, and refusing to investigate it, if so then please take my details for a formal complaint".

Look, I'm not trying to dissuade people from reporting. Quite the opposite. I'm just saying - be prepared for the desk sergent or civvie on the computer to try and shrug you off. The more people who realise they shouldnt be doing that the better, as it means more will come forward and stand their ground with the authorities.

BTW if we're going down camera routes then its preferential to have a rear facing one too. So two cams to capture evidence. You're more likely to get plates off a rear cam too, but forward captures proximity better if on the helmet. 2 cams is ideal in most situations imo.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    The car is a vw polo 1.4 cl in black
  • gaz545 wrote:

how do you know that?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    gaz545 wrote:

how do you know that?

Try to get an insurance quote for it
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gaz545 wrote:

how do you know that?

WeBuyAnyCar.com
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Some other useful sites.

Insurance: http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/

[Note the disclaimer]

'Road tax': http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

[Click Vehicle Enquiry]
  • jeremyrundle
    downfader wrote:
    downfader wrote:

BTW if we're going down camera routes then its preferential to have a rear facing one too. So two cams to capture evidence. You're more likely to get plates off a rear cam too, but forward captures proximity better if on the helmet. 2 cams is ideal in most situations imo.

100% +++ just as I have

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    You know what would be a better idea.

All cars to be fitted with camera/ aeroplane style black boxes which would record constantly as the car is moving. And make it a criminal offence to 'tamper' with it.

Regarding the OP I'm not sure how the driver managed to undertake you if you were in the left lane on a roundabout. Was he half on the hardshoulder/ grass verge?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    Lets fit everyone with personal cameras and have everyone film everyone else at all times.

That'll keep everyone straight :roll:

edit, sorry two cameras, one rear facing as you never know what someone may be up to behind your back.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    glad you're ok
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Regarding the OP I'm not sure how the driver managed to undertake you if you were in the left lane on a roundabout. Was he half on the hardshoulder/ grass verge?

he had to have been in that bit of the road that is never used, where it's all covered in gravel/muck...the road lanes are generous there, but not enough for me and him!

@CP...thanks. dread to think how a new/nervous/less confident rider would have reacted...most likely a massive wobble and come off
  • Regarding the OP I'm not sure how the driver managed to undertake you if you were in the left lane on a roundabout. Was he half on the hardshoulder/ grass verge?

There's a fair gap between the entrance and exit from the tunnel. With the amount of gunk on the roadsides it's quite possible that the hatching isn't visible, particularly to someone who isn't really concerned about the finer details of driving.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 15.06,,0,5

Glad you're ok, cyclopsbiker and well done for getting the numberplate. The model, a small black VW, is one of my bugbears. I know it's stereotyping but of the worst driving I've come across in SE London is actually a photofinish between black Audis (complacent incompetence) and little black VWs (arrogant incompetence).
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Glad you're ok CB and kudos to everyone that navigates that roundabout. I'm happy to be a pedestrian for that section, despite happily surviving both E&C and Hyde Park roundabouts.
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    Someone once told me that if you were to ring the DVLA and explain that a car of a certain make and model with a certain number plate was parked illegaly on your drive, they would sometimes give out a phone number to contact that driver.

Same person also told me that you might post that car for sale on gumtree with the associated phone number, appending the ad 'no women or foreigners'.

I in no way endorse this approach.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Just as the OP was cut up here (as indeed I have been too), I was the "victim" of the most suicidal cyclist at the very same place.

In the week after Xmas I was being very lazy & driving home. I drive a large Volvo estate. I was positioned correctly at the end of Jamiaca Road to go around the roundabout and turn right down Lower Road. A cyclist came up the inside of me and proceeded to go the same way. I followed keeping back and as close to the middle as I could. At the point the road opens to 2 lanes, the cyclist, instead of following into the inner (left lane) as his trajectory would suggest, turned hard right across the bows of my car and I had to brake to avoid going into him :shock: :shock: :shock:

There were no shoulder checks, no awareness that the car he had just undertook might have followed him onto the road and completely no following of the road markings, he just moved into the outside (right) lane without warning. He was bloody lucky I'm cyclist aware otherwise he would have been spending New Years in hospital :roll: :roll:

I thought about overtaking him and pulling over & remonstrating with him but whats the point sometimes? He wouldn't have understood...
  • downfader
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Just as the OP was cut up here (as indeed I have been too), I was the "victim" of the most suicidal cyclist at the very same place.

In the week after Xmas I was being very lazy & driving home. I drive a large Volvo estate. I was positioned correctly at the end of Jamiaca Road to go around the roundabout and turn right down Lower Road. A cyclist came up the inside of me and proceeded to go the same way. I followed keeping back and as close to the middle as I could. At the point the road opens to 2 lanes, the cyclist, instead of following into the inner (left lane) as his trajectory would suggest, turned hard right across the bows of my car and I had to brake to avoid going into him :shock: :shock: :shock:

There were no shoulder checks, no awareness that the car he had just undertook might have followed him onto the road and completely no following of the road markings, he just moved into the outside (right) lane without warning. He was bloody lucky I'm cyclist aware otherwise he would have been spending New Years in hospital :roll: :roll:

I thought about overtaking him and pulling over & remonstrating with him but whats the point sometimes? He wouldn't have understood...

I have seen similar behaviour where a taxi driver was forced to brake and avoid some meathead who had swerved across the lane out of a cyclelane to turn right. No indication or shoulder check, so the taxi after having locked his wheels (lucky it was a dry summer) meerly said in distress "are you trying to get yourself killed?" or something similar.

The guy on the bike started mouthing off and doing the coffee shaker routine, etc. Was not good, thankfully rare to encounter a****s like that...
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    I hate the tossers who can't be arsed to queue going into the tunnel or hard left and come down the right lane of Jamaica Rd. They then make their own lane driving down the only safe bit of road where you can avoid traffic in the left lane and also those turning right to head down towards the shopping centre. They rarely look out for cyclists too I find.

Rant over.............