Marmotte - Weekday training only?

Rushie
Rushie Posts: 115
So look, I know I've missed the entry-only for the Marmotte but there are still companies doing package places. Ignoring the benefits/demerits of entry-only vs. package, if I want to do it this year I have to stump up the cash and book a package as it is my only option - fair enough. But my problem is that after doing last year's Etape and being out riding both days most weekends until the end of the season, I need to put some time back into the missus & kids. So that means weekday training only. I was thinking of a Mon am/Tues pm/Thurs am/Fri pm schedule, Mon and Thurs 3 laps Richmond Park at full tilt, Tues club turbo sesh/ride, Fri maybe 2 hours hard as poss. I should be able to do a long weekend ride once a month or so if I'm good... Has anyone on here done the Marmotte or anything like it with so few long training rides? I was just outside the top third at last years' Etape if that helps.

Thanks.

Steve

Comments

• ded
    ded Posts: 120
    Just do it. I too have very limited w/e time and manged it a couple of years ago - see http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12671860&highlight= for my comments on what I did/didn't do in training.

And yes, I am signed up for this years too (which is why I was out at lunchtime today and Tuesday and and and... :shock: )
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    Thanks for the positive words Ded. The thread you mention is useful too - most people seem to be talking about it as a series of climbs linked by rest periods which is kind of what I was thinking, and therefore doing 60-90minute threshold sessions, which is also what I was thinking. Right - decision made - I'm going to the Bike Show to see if there are any bargains. Then I'm going home, and if mission control is still awake, I'm having the discussion. Wish me luck.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    +1. Threshold sessions are key for training the Marmotte. Definitely doable on 4 good sessions a week. I am in again this year.
    Rich
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Rushie, that sounds a lot more organised than my Marmotte training so far. If you can do that much intense training around Richmond Park and throw in a long ride every few weeks I reckon you should be OK, my training looks like being mainly commuting / turbo until spring and then hopefully I'll have time to do the occasional evening chain gang / race / 3-lap challenge and the odd long weekend ride.

By the way, were you in Morzine for the Tour last summer? I met a couple of guys who post here and the name sounds familiar.

Cheers

Mat
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Last year my training for the marmotte was shambolic. I did 3 sportives (HOTA, BlackRat and Magnificat) and they were my only rides over a metric century. I did a few 3LCs and a few 6laps of RP sessions but most of my training was the commute and a few after work short sessions. The event hurt but was ok really. So, yes, it's doable but I'm going to make time to train more this year ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, very do-able on that amount of training, and I'll be very happy if I can get that amount of training in this year! :)

My training was much like Jon Ginge's - one less sportive, but I have a longer commute.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Did the Marmotte in 08 and suffered, but finished with a Silver. Completed again last year and finished with a Gold nearly 2 hours faster.
    The big difference for me was for last years event I included some weight training and lots of hill intervals and threshold sessions, and lost a few kg to increase my power to weight ratio. Whereas for 08 I basically just did loads of miles and was heavier.

Also entered this year so see everyone there

AJ