Thoughts on plastic pedals

GHill
GHill Posts: 2,402
edited January 2011 in MTB general
I see that Nukeproof is bringing out some new pedals:

http://www.nukeproof.com/news/119-new-n ... ic-pedals-

My first thoughts were, ugh, plastic. But then I started wondering what the pros/cons would actually be. Assuming the plastic is tough enough, is there any big disadvantage to using plastic rather than Al for the pedal body?

Other than that the finish may look a little cheap :lol:

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    jr gets through a set every few weeks on his bmx. Every one has broken on the crank side where the spindle goes into the pedal.

The Nukeproof ones might be better.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Pro's:
    lighter

cons:
    they look naff
    they break easier
    slippery when wet (or more slippery than good metal ones)

Don't bother.

Those promo shots on the website are irritating as well... Why can't they just show a full photo of one of the pedals? :?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    They do look better than a lot of plastic pedals, but £35 for plastics? No thanks Nukeproof!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I wasn't specifically meaning just the Nukeproof ones, more a general question of (hopefully) high quality plastic pedals.

Thanks for the responses so far guys, interesting thoughts. Not planning on buying any BTW.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I use plastic Gusset Pinheads

They grip better than the V12's they replace, and they are way lighter
  • I've been using a set of da bomb icy ice pedals for about a year, very light, great finish but useless in the wet. The pins are moulded polycarb and give no grip when wet. They are bulletproof though, smashed them countless times on rocks ect. If they had metal pins they would be ace!
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Interesting but i reckon they'll be slippery but that's based on my experience with cheap out of the box plastics.

I know you weren't talking about just these but £35 for a set of plastic pedals?! You can get V12/V8 copies which will last years for half that price :shock:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    stuisnew wrote:
    I know you weren't talking about just these but £35 for a set of plastic pedals?! You can get V12/V8 copies which will last years for half that price :shock:

Or Nukeproof's metal pedals for the same £35 under the name Diamondback Velocity's :wink:
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    Plastic should be very good for pedals but the plastics they use are no good and with reference to these £35 is far too steep for plastic pedals.

Wellgo MG-1s are still the pedal to beat IMO but the magnesium is not for everyone and a plastic one done right can be better for toughness and weight.

You can pick up plastic pedals for peanuts but yes the shafts and bearings in these should be good and add to the price and assembling them with little bolts and buts for studs will add some cost - they would save cost by having the user install them - ikea style.

What I would do:

Make them from PEEK - a fantastic material.

Undoing the bolts is going to be hard when the threads get mangled - maybe change the design so the unscrewing thread is not the bit that gets wrecked. Otherwise people may have to resort to filing the thread off flush at the nut. Although the nylon pedals will probably break before then.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    I think the plastic ones look really naff. But thats just my opinion, I suppose it would stop the paint chipping off and looking tatty as do my V8's but still.... no thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Those nukeproof ones look far to thin to me - the exposed and raised middle section looks slippy.
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    been using plastic pedals in bmx for a couple of years now, the market for metal (bmx) pedals has all but gone. even mtb dirt/street guys use plastic now. i haven't noticed an issue with grip, don't compare the shite on entry level bikes to 'proper' (ody' PCs/JCPC) plastics. bear in mind that no one rides bmx in mud though.