downside of commuting

shouldbeinbed
shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
I've been on jury duty at Minshull St in Manchester, they have absolutely no facilities for cyclists whatsoever so I've been changing in the gents.

Today I'm sent home having just finished a trial, the place is deserted and I'm stark naked in the bogs when the fire alarm goes off, just as I get my shorts on theres a bang on the door and a lady receptionist rushes in and says 'this isn't a drill, you'll have to evacuate now'

she doesn't know how close I came to doing just that.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    I've been on jury duty at Minshull St in Manchester, they have absolutely no facilities for cyclists whatsoever so I've been changing in the gents.

Today I'm sent home having just finished a trial, the place is deserted and I'm stark naked in the bogs when the fire alarm goes off, just as I get my shorts on theres a bang on the door and a lady receptionist rushes in and says 'this isn't a drill, you'll have to evacuate now'

did you park at the end of Aytoun street next to the taxi rank? was wondering whose the new bike was
    FCN: 6
  • Aaand straight back into the courtroom...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So what would you do if you were in the cubicle for the more usual reasons???

Push harder?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    So what would you do if you were in the cubicle for the more usual reasons???

This actually happened to me.

There was a bomb scare in the building while I was having some 'thinking' time. They used fire alarms to evacuate everybody quickly.

I didn't hear any alarms and nonchalantly left the smallest room to be confronted with an angry policeman shouting questions at me about who I was and what I was doing in the building.

Obviously my meek answers of "I was just in the toilet" did not impress.
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    and a lady receptionist rushes in and says 'this isn't a drill, you'll have to evacuate now'

Phwoar, she must have been real good looking. Oh, hang on, you said evacuate.
  • Never strip naked in a public place. :lol:
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Ride a bike that doesn't require you to change clothes! :D
  • mattomal wrote:

did you park at the end of Aytoun street next to the taxi rank? was wondering whose the new bike was

Yes big clunky cannondale. Didn't realise there was a rack there, I spotted it after a couple of days at Primarks door. Much better class of stand at the thistle.
  • ndru wrote:
    Ride a bike that doesn't require you to change clothes! :D

:) it's me unfortunately, I run hot however I ride, it'd have been rather unpleasant for my peers to sit with me in my bike duds. That and a day of snow & days of rain.

Their facilities really are shocking, no changing facility, no showers, crappy radiators, trying to dry soaked clothes on a hot water pipe in a communal lounge, a bunch of lockers but no keys to open them. Still, its done now, quite interesting and back to reality.
  • ndru
    Surely there's a way of not getting all sweaty - is it because of your clothing choice? :). And for the rain I would recommend a poncho which you can just pull over your clothes and attach to your arms so that your shoes stay dry as well.
  • dhope
    ndru wrote:
    Surely there's a way of not getting all sweaty - is it because of your clothing choice? :). And for the rain I would recommend a poncho which you can just pull over your clothes and attach to your arms so that your shoes stay dry as well.

Nah, I sweat on my commute, certainly too much to wear a work shirt.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ndru wrote:

Not a hope, not just cycling I naturally run hot. Clothing is always appropriate/under - softshell in mild damp, gillet if i can get away only full wet jkt if it is chucking it down. I honestly couldnt go for a poncho the aesthetic is too geek even for me & I'd still be just as warm only in a flappy bag
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    ndru wrote:

I remember trying to use those as a kid - never had any success - get wet from spray from underneath and in constant danger of doing a Mary Poppins if you hit a gust of wind.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • ndru
    SimonAH wrote:
    ndru wrote:

I remember trying to use those as a kid - never had any success - get wet from spray from underneath and in constant danger of doing a Mary Poppins if you hit a gust of wind.

Uhm... mudguards? I am using it all the time and never flew off... i think you might be exaggerating.
  • dhope
    ndru wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Nah, I sweat on my commute, certainly too much to wear a work shirt.
    ndru wrote:
    I feel for you :)

Sweating is healthy, brisk commute should do that :D

I'd only need to shower following the gym anyway. Morning routine is
    Fall out of bed into cycling/gym stuff, cycle to work, cross road, gym, shower, dress for work, cross road, work.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ndru wrote:
    Surely there's a way of not getting all sweaty

I so wish this were true - and more than a few on here do too I bet :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If I'm not sweating then I may as well be on public transport (although that brings me out in a cold sweat instead).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Drayk
    Drayk Posts: 45
    Spray yourself all over with anti-perspirant ;)
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate