Cytech Qualification.

coopsman1
coopsman1 Posts: 337
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Has anyone done the Cytech course before?

I am seriously considering doing this, not only for my benefit but possibly get a part time job at a LBS.

Comments

• AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    It's pretty expensive if you pay for it yourself.

See if your local Evans are recruiting. They aim to get staff through the Cytech levels within 2 years of commencing employment.

A cheaper, nationally recognised qualification is the Weldtech course. Although, being a newer scheme, it's not quite as widely recognised as Cytech.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i did one and was disappointed that i had to buy my own lunch and the supplied coffee was the kind that single mums buy. as for the course it was very easy but they were passing everybody, even those who were clueless. when i did it there was a group of 9 of us on the course but only 3 of us had paid the astronomical course fee, the others had got government help through various schemes. i found it very very annoying that one such individual who could not grasp the basics passed with flying colours, no doubt he was destined for halfords.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    TBH i wouldn't really bother.

Most lbs will employ someone with practical experience or even just passion on the back of knowing you. You then learn the stuff on the job from the more experienced mechanics.

The stuff cytech teaches you is rather easy and the skill in being a mechanic lies in knowing how to fix the dross that makes up 90% of a workshops turnover.