Helicopter tape - where to put it ?

Zard36
Zard36 Posts: 28
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi, I'm going to get a Whyte T120 in the next coulpe of weeks :D

What I would like to know is, with the carbon swinging arm would it be best to helicopter tape the inside of the arm to protect from muck & stones stuck on the tyres & on the outside to protect from shoe rub?

Where else would be a good idea to protect the frame apart from the obviouse like cable rub areas?

Comments

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Lucky man!

Underside of the downtube as well, in case of rock strikes, and possibly the top tube, where the bars could swing round and hit the frame if you have an off..

Maybe even a tiny bit on the crank arms to protect them from shoe rub as well?

Otherwise, everywhere else you mentioned :)
  • wollow007
    wollow007 Posts: 118
    Everywhere!!!

I got a Commencal Super 4 Carbon (black) scratches so easy, helicopter tape works wonders, bit tricky to apply but once on is superb, worth every penny!

:lol:
    http://www.clivenutley.com

Orange 5 Pro
    Giant Trance X0
    Mondraker Dune RR
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    cocoon the thing!!!!

Seriously, it's relatively easy to fit and saves the frame from considerable cosmetic and potentially structural damage.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    agreed

i have it all over my Carbon Scale

gives the frame a nice shine as well
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Where are you getting that from? I've been waiting from an email from the nearest shop that stocks whyte waiting for them to get a demo version in!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Zard36
    Zard36 Posts: 28
    Didn't really want to put it all over the bike as I might do a rubish job & make it look like crap :( I guess with a bit of practise it should come good.
    Any advice on how best to put this stuff on? also will it strip the paint if I decide to replace it in the future?
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i use jet fighter tape. its way tougher than helicopter tape and my bike makes a pleasing "whoooosh" sound when i go beyond mach 1
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Take your time and use a hair drier to warm the frame and tape carefully. It won't damage the tape if you get the good stuff from a reputable dealer.

Also give the frame a good clean first.
  • where do you get it from?
  • Make sure you've degreased the frame first, and don't get your sticky finger prints on the stuff as you put it on. +1 for the hairdryer - it's more maleable like that. I've done a carbon road bike and it wasn't too hard. Putting some on the headtube for cable rub is important too. Wish I'd done the seatstays on my Anthem as that's rubbed from my shoes... ah - hindsight.
    |> Save money on purchases from CycleStore, Wiggle, Merlin, Evans, Chain Reaction, Halfords and more - click here (or PM me with questions)
  • camy151
    camy151 Posts: 32
    ive just bought some for my new whyte on ebay from paragontapes, very fast delivery as well.
  • Hi there. I am in the process of buying some HT. What widths are people buying to put on there rides. I know there are widths of 5cm, 7.5cm and 10cm in 1-3m rolls.
    I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I bought a 2m x 10cm roll and it was more than enough for my commencal.

I did the wet application and it was really easy. Got a few little bubbles if you look really close, but it looks spot on !

I did the top tube, down tube, seat tube, rear stays, anywhere else where rub / knocks can happen.

Only took about 2 hrs, and this included me cutting all paper templates first which I would recommend.

Oh, did the crank arms too, but I prob need to redo them as only put a small piece across the flat, would be good to fully cover the arms but would prob have to use something else.
  • hennez
    hennez Posts: 255
    DodgeT wrote:
    Oh, did the crank arms too, but I prob need to redo them as only put a small piece across the flat, would be good to fully cover the arms but would prob have to use something else.

you can get things called crankskins online
    they are good depending on the cranks that you have. some truvativ cranks such as firex have a big dip in the middle of the crank arm, you just have to chop the bottom part of it. they are really sticky and fairly tough too.
    heres there store - http://stores.ebay.com/crankskins-dot-com
    My bike takes me places that school never could
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Just protect against cable rub and then every other chip will be a well deserved war wound. Just because it's carbon doesn't mean that it is vunerable. This is all I've done on my Blur LTC and it wears it's dings with pride.