Women Drivers.....!

2»

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    On a slightly different tangent, my route takes me down a narrow-ish road with cars parked down both sides. It's impossible for two cars to pass each other, and while there's just enough room for a car and bike to pass, I prefer to either give way or make a point of being in the middle of the road.

If I give way, I get some sort of thanks from most male drivers (unless they have Addison Lee stickers on their car). The overwhelming majority of female drivers however will just sail past without apparently even noticing I'm there. Unappreciative bints, the lot of em.

P.S. I'm not sexist, some of my best friends are wimmin.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    edited January 2011
    gtvlusso wrote:
    That got your attention didn't it?!

Anyway, for the fourth time, over a 20 odd years of cycling, I have been hit by a lady driver.

Daft tart goes to overtake me, thequote]

You start by calling her a lady then go on to call her a tart, there are almost no "ladies" any more, women perhaps but no proper "ladies".

You don't say the "gentleman" so why "lady".
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I tend to find women drives will sit behind me for longer before overtaking.. I think this is due to them perving at my buns of steel
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I tend to find women drives will sit behind me for longer before overtaking.. I think this is due to them perving at my buns of steel

Is that sexism or is it just plain sexy?

:-)
  • jeremyrundle
    I am over fifty and through good luck and driving ability have never had so much as a parking ticket, and I do put that down to as I said also good luck.

However, I have to say that I rarely cycle before 9am as the most problematic are the women who have just dropped little sammy off at school and are going shopping, they pull out at roundabouts with NO consideration, however OLD people are just as bad, but then I have been compensated by Boots fro being cut up (I never go out without front and rear cameras), and had a taxi given a written warning by the council.

No, it is women and O L D mr or mrs pensioner who don't kow what day it is let alone where they are.

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Is that sexism or is it just plain sexy?

A FACT.. and a sexy one to boot
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jeremyrundle
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sexism is as bad as racism.

I agree with you, but how does that fit in with anything anyone has said or are you like Roger Irrelevant from Viz? :-)

No i'm ravey davey gravy.

It's relevant and you know it. You want to make a comment that women are bad drivers but you know you shouldn't really, since it's sexist - so you hide behind "it's only annecdotal" stats.

Sexist, oh no, not since they wone equality, I think that was the best thing that ever happened for women, now I don't have to hold doors, stand up on busses or worry what I complain about, any more than I would a man.

FULLY paid up MCP and proud of it.

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Kurako wrote:

This one's more appropriate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4

:)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Interestingly I was nearly taken out this morning by a mother in a Chelsea Tractor crammed with kids.

Traveling slightly up hill along a smallish main road, a small road crosses it (I have right of way). High sided van comes the other way, as soon as it has passed woman coming on to the main road to go straight across as I am about to get in the way. Fortunately I just managed to slow enough. Not sure she ever realised I was there although at least one of the sprogs saw me shouting wooooaaahh.

I do find that women tend to be a little more oblivious although by far and away the biggest identifyer I find is the type of car. Audi's are the worst up here by quite a long way.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Nothing is ever so black and white.

(did you see what I did there? :wink: )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It's a pigment of your imagination anyway.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Don't let it colour your judgement
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think it's because women are distracted by politics.

The day they got the vote is the day this country started going downhill. :evil:

:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    The people who have hit me - one black cab, and a couple of other cyclists have all been male, and have all hit me from behind. I must be rather distracting. I'd certainly go along with male drivers being more aggressive.

I wonder if there is any connection between the gender differences in motorists (which are backed up by varying insurance premiums) and the apparent gender bias in cycling fatalities. Personally, I've never been particularly convinced by the proposed explanation for the latter - that female cyclists end up in more accidents because they 'follow the rules' more than male riders.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Isn't the general trend that women tend to have more crashes, but they're little dings and scrapes. Whereas men have less, but when they do they really go for it and crash a jet-powered tank into a school bus?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    My wife's MO is to drive up to an empty roundabout then suddenly stop for no apparent reason. She has been hit twice from behind like this and both times found not at fault with the male drivers insurance paying up.
    However I know if I was the other driver I would be pretty miffed by that.

On the accident count she is winning 6-0 but then Fate is a woman and she will surely visit me now I've said that.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Knocked of my bike only once, by a woman.

Had a woman driver run into the back of me twice (one of them my girlfriend in my own car) and one pull out in front me totalling a classic car I'd put serious amounts of work into :-( Also had one reverse into me. Have been hit by a male bus driver once.

I my limited experience women are usually very good drivers but a few of them seem to be indecisive and lack confidence. Having said that I'm sure many males are over confident!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    No, it is women and O L D mr or mrs pensioner who don't kow what day it is let alone where they are.
    As much as it riles me as a woman to say, I agree.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I was going to pay for Ms DDD's driving lessons, but in the flat she couldn't pass me to get to the bath. So she attempted to force her way past me. Ended up hitting her knee on the bath and hurting herself.

I tried to explain that if she had simply stopped or better stepped backwards (i.e. reversed) and allowed me to move around her none of this would have happened (it was like a clssic 2 cars side road meeting situation). She was either unwilling or unable to fathom the logic.

Says it all really, I'm not unleashing that on the roads.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    No stats but my personal view is:

Bus drivers are fairly good drivers on the whole
    Black cab drivers always drive far too close and think they own the road
    Women pull out of side roads without looking and just don't pay enough attention in general
    Mini-cab drivers are just sh1t
    Lorry drivers are OK, except tippers who are the same as mini-cabs but bigger

Bus drivers are twunt follicles!

How many times have I been overtaken by one only for the twunt follicle to pull in 3 secs afterwards at a bus stop.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jeremyrundle

Nothing illegal about being racist I am...............................

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I was going to pay for Ms DDD's driving lessons, but in the flat she couldn't pass me to get to the bath. So she attempted to force her way past me. Ended up hitting her knee on the bath and hurting herself.

I tried to explain that if she had simply stopped or better stepped backwards (i.e. reversed) and allowed me to move around her none of this would have happened (it was like a clssic 2 cars side road meeting situation). She was either unwilling or unable to fathom the logic.

I'm not sure how significant this is. Mrs RJS has done something similar on many occasions - in each case it was of course 'my' fault for not getting out of the way - but I can't fault her driving.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm not sure how significant this is. Mrs RJS has done something similar on many occasions - in each case it was of course 'my' fault for not getting out of the way - but I can't fault her driving.

Its thought process init.

Time and time again I've experienced a womans tendency towards unidirectional travel. Even if it means placing themselves in a more difficult position.

But that particular incident really was like a meeting situation between two cars travelling along a 'corridor of cars' type road. That's what left me thinking "Jesus".

Not saying all women are bad drivers, I wouldn't say that.
    Food Chain number = 4

• 100% of the people who have knocked me off my bike have been women. They have been police officers also, make of that as you will.
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Bus drivers are twunt follicles!

How many times have I been overtaken by one only for the twunt follicle to pull in 3 secs afterwards at a bus stop.

Did you not know the London Buses training manual where it states that getting the front door level with the cyclist is enough to qualify as being completely passed and to proceed with pulling into the bus bay as quick as possible.

A clever cyclist at this stage will then use the waiting passengers as a soft stop/buffer..... or smash the wing mirror rendering the bus unsafe and out of service.
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    gtvlusso wrote:

Therefore, statistically, in my specific case, the stereotype is true. However, the sample group is flawed by lack of numbers!

You haven't grasped this statistics lark have you? :)