Air in the fork won't come out!!!

carrera_vulcan
carrera_vulcan Posts: 125
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi I bought a second hand Rock Shox Tora 318SL solo air and it is perfect. I still don't have a shock pump and whenever i put it on the bike i got full travel because there was no air in it. Then i just kept pressing on it and it seemed like it pumped up and now it would only go in about 2cm and is very stiff.

Is that a problem or is it okay until i get a shock pump. I thought the air was supposed to come out from somewhere?

Thanks

Comments

• the air stays in the fork until you let it out.

wait for shock pump!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you press the shrader valve pin, the air should release.

But I suspect you have a faulty air cartridge. Basically the cart has two chambers: positive and negative. The single valve (hence solo air) simultaneously fills both. When using the fork, at extension a valve equalises the chambers. Now...

Sometimes the valve sticks. You press slowly and the valve doesn't shut, and all the air goes to the negative chamber. Press hard, and it closes, and operates normally ;-)

Get a shock pump and experiment. But you may have to strip and lube the air cart.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Hmm a tora not compressing, sounds like the damper has leaked into the lowers or like SS said the air valve has stuck. Try hooking up a shock pump and bouncing on the forks..
    Have you tried putting 3cc of 15w oil in the top left fork leg? You can find that in the service manual, maybe it all got used up?
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox ... Manual.pdf
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    captainfly wrote:
    Hmm a tora not compressing, sounds like the damper has leaked into the lowers or like SS said the air valve has stuck. Try hooking up a shock pump and bouncing on the forks..
    Have you tried putting 3cc of 15w oil in the top left fork leg? You can find that in the service manual, maybe it all got used up?
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox ... Manual.pdf

+1
    Common fault on RS rebas as well. Mine did it, got it service for £60ish and all was well
  • Hi,

I got it fixed. It turns out I turned the motion control switch at the top to a different position and it locked it. Now I turned it back and it is okay!

I am sorry for wasting your time.