Chainring / bashguard question

Gibzy
Gibzy Posts: 22
edited January 2011 in MTB general
I have an 09 carrera vulcan. I have seen alot of people removing the outer chain ring on thier bikes and replacing it with a bashring. I generally ride trail centres, so would this benefit me in anyway? or would i have to change my gearing to see the befefit?

I like the look of a dual ring with the bashguards, want to do it, but havent the foggiest on pros / cons etc

Please can someone help
Visit my biking blog
*JUST UPDATED*

WWW.VALLEYSMTB.BLOGSPOT.COM

Comments

• the main reason to put a bash ring on is if you keep hitting your big ring on things. it does lower the top speed of the bike slightly, but the argument would be how often are you in big ring and smallest cog? for me its never, and thats why im going to a double and bash to protect my whole chainrings

it has the added bonus of reducing the chance of getting your trousers caught in the chainrings too.

oh and if your worried about loosing ratio, changing from a 32t middle ring to a 36t middle ring will help,
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    PRO's: - I find it slightly easier to set up front gearing with just two rings to worry about
    - Extra clearance and protection on chainrings

CONS: - Losing gear ratios, you can put a 36t on instead of 32t but the downside to this, i find, is that there is such a big leap between the two front rings so when you change up or down you find that you have make a load of rear shifts to compensate.

TBH, if you don't have a problem with ground clearance and you only fancy the change for aesthetics then i wouldn't bother. Use your money for a more beneficial upgrade. That's my opinion anyway.
  • I had also been considering an upgrade to a double and bash - this thread so far has helped me to reconsider it more carefully :)
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    man up fully and just run one ring up front - unless you're a total XC whippet there's not much in the UK a 36T or 38T up front and an 11-34 nine speed cassette won't get you up (unless your ride is a complete lead sled)

slainte :P rob