Trouble mounting front mudguard

pura
pura Posts: 6
edited January 2011 in The workshop
I have a Giant Roam 2: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 872/39040/
and ive bought these mudguards: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/par ... 343/36240/

They came with 4 bolts, all of which seem to be used to fit the rear guard, 1 for each stay, 1 near bottom bracket, 1 near brake. The rear fit was suprisingly good and easy.

At the front however, the 2 eyelets on the lower part of the suntour shocks and the hole in the "arch" over the front wheel are all too large for the supplied bolts (but all 3 seem a similar size). The supplied bolts i believe were 5mm, but i have no idea what size these eyelets are other than considerably bigger, i presume theyre standard for something else though.

Ive looked on Suntour's website, downloaded the manual for the shocks and i still cant find out what bolts i need for these eyelets.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are the eyelets at the bottom of the fork threaded or plain?

If they are plain (like the arch one) it doesn't matter what diameter the bolt is as long as the ends don't pull into the hole.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Can you not use cable ties? I used them for my mudguards when I transfered the guards over to another bike that didn't have eyelets on the front suspension fork.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • pura
    pura Posts: 6
    Thanks for the replies. I was just becoming frustrated with fitting mudguards in the dark, Giant not supplying anything like the fitting kit my friend got with his SKS chromos (no missing parts either) and not being able to find out what the eyelets (unthreaded btw) were designed for.

Ive just finished fitting them simply using some nuts and bolts, seems secure and a good fit so far :) Thanks again.